Partition an 80GB HD, what's your choice?

TRDCorolla1

Golden Master
Here's another question regarding partitioning. How would you partition a 80GB SATA hard drive? Leave it as it is, 2 partitions, 3, etc?

I'm getting one soon and like some ideas. I will have games on there, lots of work files, and tons of pictures from my digital camera.

Ideally, having no partition is faster; but! if you have to format, you may lose everything. So it would be wise to have a partition, the size will depend on your usage. If you stock data, 20,60 would do; if you have a lot of software and games, 40,40. And for a little tweak, create a small partition for your swapfile (~2 or 3 Gig), this way your swapfile will not get fragmented from moving data and also set it fix minimum and maximum; same value.
By separating your data from your operating system, in the even of a necessary operating system re-installation and disk format, your data won't be wiped off the disk since it will be on a different drive.

so if somehow my primary boot partition is corrupted over time, I can always reformat just the C: right? I can reinstall Windows on the C: drive without having to mess with the D:, E: drive. Those drives will be like, in a sense, another separate hard drives and will have nothing to do with the primary C: drive? Partitioning is still new to me.

So having a single partition is actually faster. I always thought that having multiple partitions will be faster. I guess it is mainly use to store files effectively, without one partition destroying the other.

so swap file is virtual memory right? I have mine set currently to 1.5 GB, but it's on the C: right now. On the new hard drive, I will do that than. 3 partitions, one for programs, the other one for my personal files (ie, music, pictures, Word files, etc.), and the final partition for virtual memory.

I have a 80GB Maxtor drive and i'm wondering teh samething... Anyone know how to make partitions?

EDIT: Oh now i know why you said you were loving your avatar AMD ZEN

I'm going to FDISK it with my boot disk when I get the HD first. After it's setup, I'll format it and install Windows XP

Back
Top Bottom