Motherboard Switching!

Jamxx

Fully Optimized
Hello. I'm pretty new to computer hardware installation and etcetera, and I need some help!

I am strongly thinking about upgrading to a new motherboard, to support a new and faster processor. Since I have no prior knowledge of this subject, I need someone who can tell me exactly what I need to know, like the form factor, and other specifications. Also, if anyone has any product that they have or would recommend, that would be helpful. I started to look at buying a new processor, took in a lot of information, and realized that my processor was a P4 Williamette, and the maximum processor speed I can get is 1.8 GHz, and I have a 1.5 GHz, so I didn't think it worth the money. What would be the price range of upgrading to a good motherboard and good processor? What kind of motherboard do you recommend I get for what processor? I really need some help here.

Thanks!
-Jamxx

form factor go with atx. what kind of budget you got? for processor go with amd! (socket 939) these are more expensive than intel trash but worth it. really need to know how much money your looking to spend before can really help.

Jay

if ur changing mobo and cpu, u will needa copy of windows, what ever ver u have, then u will ahve to format ur hdd, specially if ur comp that ur upping is a compaq/dell/ what ever, i would go with a socket 939 A64 cpu,
the 3200+ is very ideal (make sure it is winchester newegg.com will list if it is or not)
then for the mobo, i would go with the Nforce 4 ultra sli mobos, but you may need to get new gfx card taht supports pci-E if ur going to do that,if you dont want to do that go with the gigabyte k8n 939 ultra or the msi k8n neo 2 platinum

Well, my budget is around $250, but I could go to about $300 if I had to. Don't you have to have a specific form factor to match the same one your motherboard is for it to fit in the computer correctly? I'll list my computer specs, just to be clearer.

CPU: 1.5 GHz P4 Williamette (socket 478)

RAM: 768 SDRAM

Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 256 MB (There's no option, you can't make me give this up!)

Sound Card: SB Live! Value

DirectX: 9.0c

That's all I can really think of off the top of my head, but if you need a specific spec then I will try and get it.

And yes, I was leaning toward an AMD processor, especially the 939 socket, because it seems like that will be the future technology for a while, and I've heard they're better for games than the Intel P4, which is really what I do a lot and why I want to upgrade! :D

Oh, and about the motherboard product, I have no idea what you're talking about... :confused:

Thanks a lot for the quick responses!

okay well did you buy your computer from a store such as best buy or comp usa etc? and do you actually have a copy of windows XP like the retail cd? and what are you looking to do with the upgraded copmuter?

I ordered my computer from Dell, but I do have a copy of XP since my computer came with ME. It was one of the last ones to include it, I believe.

As for what I am looking to do, it would be to play games. I'm a 13 year old gamer looking for some more power. Asked for a lot of Christmas money this year (just about all I asked for) to upgrade my computer.

Another thing I forgot to mention was that I have been looking online at some different motherboards, and I noticed that most of them have 5 PCI slots and an AGP slot. Well, my motherboard has 4 PCI slots and an AGP slot. I'm just curious, but if I got one with 4 PCI slots, would the casing have to be changed to allow enough space to place all of them? I assume that they are spaced closer together, but I don't really need the other PCI slot. I have everything filled up right now, but I can't think of anything else I need. I noticed that my case only allows the space for 4 PCI slots, and was concerned about this.

Thanks for the responses!
-Jamxx

well, if ur case only has 4, you will need to find a mobo with 4 slots, and most likley you will need to get new RAM for the mobo also because EXTREMELY FEW mobos actually have sdram nowadays, you will probably need ... about a bit more than 300 im thinking
you could probably get a HT mobo for p4 and get a 2.6 or 2.8 ghz cpu and then about 512 megs of pc 3200 for just above 300 i think, but mostlikley, it would be best to get new case also, soooo i dunno, cuz those DELL's are crampt as hell

Eh... A bit more than 300 bucks? Hmm...... I'm not sure if I want to do that...

Well, are there any motherboards that come with SDRAM worth getting nowadays? Or am I just going to have to throw it out the window. Seems like a waste, but what must be done must be done... Wow, that was corny. Also, for gaming, what kind of processor would be better? I've heard that AMD's are better for gaming because they process one program better than many at once, while the Pentiums are good at multi-tasking. I really don't want to get a new case either.

I've also heard about having to get a new power supply. Ah! There are so many things that you have to do! It's overwhelming!

Thanks!
-Jamxx

I'd go for a socket 478 3.2 Gig 1 Meg L2 cache Prescott CPU, an ASUS P4P800X mobo and 512 Meg of PC3200 for ~$400 Can (+-$300US). You can have some INTEL suggestions, but definitely go for an ASUS motherboard, you can't beat those.

300 bucks? And a socket 478? I don't know about that. Isn't the processor technology moving to socket 939 now? Or is that going to be a while? Is there something else that I can get for about 50-100 bucks less that will perform about as good? I'm really on a budget here.

Thanks!
-Jamxx

Back
Top Bottom