Seagte VS Western Digital...

compychump

Baseband Member
Seagate VS Western Digital...

In terms of seek time, latency, speed etc, which is better? The Seagate 80 gig Barracuda 7200 Sata or the Western Digital 80 gig cavier 7200 Sata? I know both brand are highly regarded, but which is better in terms of speed? Seagate seems to be slightly ahead. (I know the 10,000 rpm WD raptors are great, but it's out of my price range).

I'd always shoot for the Seagate Barracudas, (although I don't actually own a working one! lol) I work for Stone Computers, and Seagate are the only hdds we use.

It's a mixed opinion. Depending on which site you go to, sometimes the Seagate have the shortest seek/latency times, while sometimes the WDs have the the shortest seek/latency times. There has to be definitive proof somewhere...CALLING ALL UBER TECHIES!

Does anyone know if the Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 Sata NCQ drives are any good? Does NCQ add a whole bunch?

Hmm, my Maxtor has that, the Barracudas should have that technology... In any case... Barracudas are great drives, my Sister has two of them (160GBSATA x2) in RAID 0. Good performing drives.

Not really, there is not really a noticeable difference unless you are opening several programs at once... For example, when I want my AMD64 to open every control panel thing, it NCQs it, and open it in under 1 sec.. However, if I use a non NCQ drive (I have an older Maxtor) it takes about 4-5 secs.. So for multitasking, yes, the other stuff no.

What about for internet surfing and downloads? (i.e. Kazza or other file sharing programs where say I would have 10 or so files being downloaded at once.)

Back
Top Bottom