Linux Vs Windows

windows. ive always liked linux a lot even though i use windows. but every game out their will work fine with windows.

and im not sure why but ive seen quite a few games have a sound delay problem while running linux. thats my 2 cents.

If your man priority is gaming then i would have to say Windows. Most games can't run on GNU/Linux. Only a handful like UT2003/2004 and Doom3 can.

Most games cant run on linux because they use direct3d and it is only compatible with windows i believe so the games like ut 2003/2004 and doom3 on linux use the opengl engine.

Yeah. Direct3D is a serious no-no on GNU/Linux systems unless you use Cedega. Cedega will allow alot of games to run pretty well on GNU/Linux distros. Half-Life 2 included.

If your priority is not gaming then personally i feel GNU/Linux is better. It's more stable, much less exposure to viruses and malware and speed. No to mention no more BSODs of course. But of course everyone is entitled to his/her opinion.

Well, usually Linux ports can be found 3 or 4 months after a game is released, although that isn't always true. As much as I like Linux (even though I have no clue how to install stuff to it... I even have a "For Dumbies" Book) it just isn't for gaming. Also, if you're into Unreal Tournament you won't be able to make your own maps because there currently is no editor for it and supposibly there will never be.

Member,
~ Spdstr

Well, hopefully there will be. Actually, the 3-4 months thing isn't really true. It only applies for games that are intended to have a GNU/LInux port. And that's extremely few.

Go for windows for gaming. But keep in mind that anything that runs on windows can be ran on linux. Games might not act as good as if it was on windows but it can be done. Just google it how to do it.

Back
Top Bottom