Puttin my new mobo in

mayorredbeard

Daemon Poster
Just got my new motherboard and processor, their great. (well they look great, havent used 'em yet so i dont know if their good or not)

I got the parts lieing around, and i have a question before i go to work.
Will i have trouble booting from my harddrive if i put a new motherboard and processor in my computer? Or should it boot right up and i install the forceware drivers (its an nvidia motherboard) and im good to go?

Well, when it is new, you will have to re'insall your operating system. Set your operating system boot disk in your cdrom and set the bios to boot from it. Format your hard disk and do a clean installation.
Be careful with the static electricity and plugging devices with the power on.

so basically all i need to do is hook everything up (my friend is lending me his static matt to put all the parts on so i dont shock any of the parts).

so when i got my parts in, i popin my windows xp cd, then once thats done i should format your hard disk (i do that by popping in the windows xp disk and clicking format hard disk right?) and install the forceware drivers, and then im done right?

uhhh with windows xp u go to repair windows, then it takes u to dos, then u type, format C:\
and thats how u format with the windows disc i believe

That is correct, but while you are at it, if you don't have a bootable CD, you can go to the windows website, and download a program which will make you create 6 setup disks to start from scratch.

Just as long as your old hard drive has a OS in it, then you should be fine.

trance565 said:
uhhh with windows xp u go to repair windows, then it takes u to dos, then u type, format C:\
and thats how u format with the windows disc i believe

so i pop in the windows xp disc that i have (its one disc) then a menu should popup and i click repair windows, then when im in dos i type format c:\ and it does its stuff?

ya it deletes absolutly EVERYTHING THAT U COULD POSSIBLY HAVE ON UR HDD, so back up things that u want to keep IE: save certain game files u need onto cd's, along with work files and all that good shizzy

I didn't know you can format that way too. I just learned something new. I always let Windows do my formatting during the initial setup (NTFS). I'll try that next time with the Windows XP CD.

lol ya, das how me and my frend fix his comp whenever he gets lots of viruses/spyware built up, i gotta come over to his house and do it for him, but no biggy lol, ez stuff and once ur done formatting u just restart comp and go to windows set up

Back
Top Bottom