Lan connection using cross-over cable

d_source said:
Anyone know how to set up a lan connection using Cross-over cables, not with ROUTER. This is my new mobo: http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProdu...-131-517&depa=0
The old mobo i will connect one end of the cross-over cable into the 10/100 ethernet card, but on this mobo, which goes to the cable modem and which port goes the cross-over cable?

I have only tried it once and all I did was just plug and play with it in XP Professional.

But where do i plug everything into is my question? On the new mobo, would the crossover cable go from the rj45 port to the ethernet card on the old pc. Does the cable go from the modem to the rj45 on the new mobo?

Ok, I know exactly the answer to your question. When you have a cross-over or twisted cable, it is because you plan to use ICS (Internet Connection SHaring).
The computer that receives the internet will need two network card (one for the internet connection and one for the c/o cable). The crossover cable connects in the network cards of the two computers you want to link.
Once you have done this, on the computer that has the incoming internet, click on Network Connections and their you should see you incoming internet connection probably marked Connected, Firewalled.
Now right clic on it and then properties. In the advanced tab, check >>I want to share this connection; apply then Ok. You will probably have to reboot, because windows will have to install some components and you may be prompted to insert your XP CD. After you reboot, you should have two network icons, and if you go to lyour network connections window, you will see that your internet connecting in now Connected, Shared, Firewalled., and there will be a second icon and it will be labeled connected, firewalled.
If you go to your second computer if it has XP, click on internet explorer, you will have a detecting proxy setting and bingo, your online.

Ok, i went through all the steps and it doesnt work. The problem exists on the second (client) pc. The connection says something along the lines of connection low or not working or something. On the host (server) i can get through all the correct steps in setting up ICS and then i go to my network places and i see the server PC is in there. On the client pc after i go through all the steps i do not see anything in my network places. The workgroup name is in there, but no pc's are listed. Do i have to flip around the crossover cable? Maybe the ethernet card or onborad lan from my old pc doesnt recongnize the crossover side (if thats the side i have plugged in). Here is a link to my old mobo: http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=P4S333-M and here is a link to my new mobo: http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=A8N-SLI Deluxe&langs=01

Plus after i set ICS on the server "I want to share this connection", my IP address changes to 198.X.X.X or something like that and i lose my internet connection on that machine. How do i get it back?

PLEASE HELP!

Back
Top Bottom