Help the ZEN!! WindowsXP hates ME!! HD No Worky!!

DarkBlade1

BSOD
Ok, I need some help pls... I got my new PC up and running last night, and I started to install WindowsXP Pro onto the system. When it came to the area to choose the partition to install on, it only saw one (this is normal, since the drive is brand new) However, it said the partition was 127,647,954 KBs....... It is supposed to be a 300GB HD, and the BIOS sees it as 300GBs, but when WindowsXP Pro sees it, it only sees it as 129GB..... I did not but a 300GB drive to have it be less then half that size. I went ahead and installed Windows, and it worked (kinda... But that is another issue...). So, any ideas on how to make Windows recognize the drive as about 290GB, since Windows sees 1024MB as 1GB, and the HD manufacturers see it as 1000MB to every 1GB. That means the drive should be about 292.9GB in total.... NOT 129GB!!! WTF is causing this, and how do I fix it!!!??? PLS HELP!!!

Windows systems can only support 136 gigs of space maximum (129 in metric). There is nothing you can do about this.. Only windows servers (I think) have the ability to use more space. There is probably a way that you can refer to store data on he free space, but I don't know how to do that.

That's why I partitioned my 320 Gig harddrive (2 X 160) for several Linux systems, and a small windows partition :)

there is a patch you can download, which is what I had to do with my 200gb drive....though i don't remember where I got it

Partition it, install service pack 2 and then go to the administrative tools and link them back together as one. Just use one partition to start with to install windows; but; it is always good to have a partition in case you would have to format your disk, you can store data or even a backup on the partition.

Partition like normal in Windows XP Installer, as you probably did or plan to. Then install SP1; and you can make a partition through Computer Management [Administrative Tools; Computer Management; Drive Management or something like that] You can partition a new Partition from there in Windows when SP1 is installed.

I have the same problem with my two 160s.

Then of course; install SP2 anyway.

Back
Top Bottom