Unable to play music CD's

Termn8tr

Beta member
Greetings:

I have a Dell Dimension 8200 w/ WinXP Home (Service Pack 2). I just replaced the mobo w/ another 7G535 model for the system and everything works fine w/ the exception of the music CD's.

I am unable to play any store purchased music or burned music CD's.

I've tried Windows Media Player 8, 9 and 10, Winamp, RealPlayer, MusicMatch, etc. w/ no success.

I checked the cable from the CD-RW to the mobo and there is continuity. The system is able to install programs, etc. but NOT play or copy music cd's to the HDD. I also cleaned the CD-RW hoping that would help w/ no further success.

I've researched and installed the required Audio Codecs & Sound Drivers which works fine. Sound & music on the HDD are able to be play w/o a problem. When a music CD is placed into the CD-RW, the drive shows the files as 4kb each...that's it.

I've swapped out drives, cables, etc. and still a no-go. My last resort is to install a separate sound-card and if that doesn't work, I'll reformat the HDD, reinstall XP w/o the Service Packs and see what happens.

If ANYONE has any further input or can see something that I've missed, please give this post a shout.

Tnx in advance,

MikeyB

There is a special CD audio cable you must have. If you have it, be sure CD audio is turned up and not muted in your audio settings.

Greetings & Tnx for the reply:

I checked the audio cable for continuity & all is well. I've also checked the audio settings within windows as well as the other platforms used to play music files....still a no-go.

T

Sounds! like you may have an on-board sound card and also a sound card attached. Check in your hardware if there is a conflict; and if you have to sound device, to to your BIOS and disable it's sound card. The cable may be connected to your sound card, but it is your mobo sound card that is processing the sound and your cdrom is not linked to it.
Disable the mobo sound card in your BIOS, if you already have a sound card installed.

Check the audio cable to make sure it's oriented properly....IE....try flipping over one of the connectors to see if it works

Greetings:

I've placed store purchased CD's in the drive & tried to play them w/ different platforms...no-go.

In reference to the on-board sound & sound card...there is only one sound device...the on-board sound. I plan on disabling this and installing a PCI sound card to see the results.

In reference to the sound cable...try flipping over one of the connectors??? The cable can only be plugged in one way...no flipping allowed.

Tnx for the suggestions though...I'll let ya know what happens.

M1K3YB

maybe it has something to do with the computer itself. do you have a dell warranty plan? maybe a new comp will solve the problem (yes i kno, that is a hard thing to do). but yeah. i understand your feelings. no music sux! but yeah. like the others said, it could be the sound card switch, a cable not being plugged in or what not. hope it all goes well.

Trying doing this, it happened to me once!
My Computer -> Right click on your CD drive -> Properties -> Hardware -> your CD drive -> Properties -> Properties make sure its not muted there

Yes that is true what Charchris says, and also check if the AUTOPLAY setting is right.
Concering that sound cable, it has to run from your cdrom to your motherboard since you have onboard sound. Are all your drivers installed.>codecs etc.
Have you tried playing an mp3 CD to see if there is sound!

Back
Top Bottom