windows xp home setup doesnt find my hard disk

daley7199

Beta member
I recently bought a new motherboard, processor, and hard drive. The moboard bios recognizes the presence of all my hardware but when i load the windows XP disc, i get the message that windows setup couldnt find a hard disc connected to my computer.

I have a serial ATA HDD and i have it connected to the SATA 1 plug on my mo Board. I am at my wits end and I could really use some help.

You will have to go to your BIOS and check the settings. The new motherboards are loaded with different parameters and by default it may not be configured to recognize SATA. The answer is there. I have an ASUS motherboard and a SATA hard drive and I had the same problem, but a quick check at my BIOS was that it was only set to recognize IDE hard disks, I changed it to IDE and SATA and BINGO.

Thanks. I have been in my bios and for my operating mode it has RAID or IDEE. I have tried both but i am not sure about setting up and array.

Do i have to have 2 hard drives to utilize the RAID feature

Your close, there is a place where there is a mode type which is relevant to the operation system you use, and in the same area there is the types of hard disks and you should see S-ATA.
Raid is for the way you are going to configure your hard drives. Like a RAID 0 is when you want to have 2 identical hard disks in parallel to double your data output. A RAID 1 would be 1 hard disk being the mirror of the other, and so on...

Eureka......I have cracked the problem

I called the ASUS Tech Support Line and found out that I had to make a bootable floppy disk from a file on my motherboard support CD. I didnt realize that I had to do that. The answer was right there in the MO board users guide all along.

I dont know why they don't just give you a bootable floppy. I only have one computer and had to go back to work.....BLAH!!!!! to make one.

None the less crisis averted. Thanks to all who helped.

Tim

Back
Top Bottom