Install problem.

The problem you probably have is with the bios setting. Some motherboards by default set a given hard disk the priority to be the first boot device, but now if you have partitioned the hard disk, you will have to go back you your bios setting and check the first boot device.
Note by default, when you add a new hard disk, many new type motherboard will set the new hard disk as the priority one boot disk. All you may have to do is change the order or from which hard drive will the PC boot up from.
Let me know if you had changes to make.

It's the same HD as has been in there since the computers birth. I changed the boot order to CD first so i was able to reformat.

start over again. try popping the battery out and doing the re format again. if you have win 2000 or 98 try see if hey will install.

Well is you mention that you set the boot priority to be the CD is fine, but in your bios prior to doing that, your hard disk was not partitioned, now it is. The BIOS doesn't know that. Also if you set a cdrom to boot from, changing drives will not help. You have to stick to the cdrom you assigned as the bootable room.
Also did you activate you partitions!
If you want to read what is in the I386 folder, you have to write c:\ > cd i386 and then press enter.
Have you done this before? You might want to impress you girlfriend, but !!!

it's not a matter of impressing her. Yes, I've done this before on almost half a dozen other computers, never had this error... I've done it to 2 of my own computers, my fathers computer, a friends, and my brothers... Thanks for the help, i'm going to do what you said now.
*edit*
The hd was partitioned before in the bios, it was just a different partition, does what you said still apply?

zero4zero said:
Well is you mention that you set the boot priority to be the CD is fine, but in your bios prior to doing that, your hard disk was not partitioned, now it is. The BIOS doesn't know that. Also if you set a cdrom to boot from, changing drives will not help. You have to stick to the cdrom you assigned as the bootable room.
Also did you activate you partitions!
If you want to read what is in the I386 folder, you have to write c:\ > cd i386 and then press enter.
Have you done this before? You might want to impress you girlfriend, but !!!
when you set boot priority it doesn't have a list of your CD-roms, it just says "cd-rom" so why would it matter which one i attempt to use? I just was able to "repair" the drive when i started it up, but i still get the same error.

if it was different then you will have to change it to match what your hard drive partitions are.
Because with new hard disks having cache files ( 2 to 8 megs), I've had a respond once that I didn't have enough space....Windows wanted to load on 8 Meg!
Newer motherboards are very pratical but you have to access the BIOS more often. On my ASUS P4P800 SE, if I put a new hard disk, the new disk will by default be considered as the priority one boot disk, and since the operation system on not on that drive, I get prompted: Invalid disk! No wonder, there is nothing on it. We learn from our mistakes. Learn for the mistakes of others.

I would simply stop your PC and leave the CD in your cdrom, wait a minute or so and then restart your computer. It will look for the first boot device which should be the CD in the cdrom and start over and follow the instructions.
If you are prompted to reformat your hard disks, just do what is recommended.

you said ur comp was an HP, y didnt u use the restore discs? cuz lots of times they make their comps so u cant format their HDDs and use em on another comp, so if u formatted it u may need to get new hdd, happened with my compaq, i dunno tho since ur usin the same comp, still try hookin another hdd to the comp if u have one

Back
Top Bottom