Please help: No idea what to look for in a new LCD monitor

i've seen it myself in a sony shop in my town centre, u can sit there in a chair and b surrounded by t.v.s all different types and u could tell the difference between plasma and lcd!!

maybe you just thought you could tell the difference...ask almost anyone and they will tell you plasma looks better, it can come up with more color, better clarity, etc.

Ya everything i read about comparison b/w plasma and LCD has plasma way better than LCD, hence the huge price difference. Maybe u speak only in terms on pc screens, b/c everything i read about is about TV's.

Well first of all you have to consider what type of video card you have, and whether it has a DVI or analog output.
If you have a DVD output, look for LCD monitors which have the DVI capability. The DVI signal is much better that the analog. NOte many LCD have both DVI and analog connections.
There are a few things you have to look for. 1- the response time; the lower the better especially if you are going to play games ( ~15ms respond time is adequate) 2- The pixel size, the smaller the better; .29mm is big and anything below that is more acceptable. 3- Finally the contrast rate; the bigger the better; 800 is a good figure for the contrast rate. There is also the amount of intensity of the screen which is in cd/m2 [candellas per meter square], the 300 range is acceptable. Finally, you have to find out about the warranty, if there is a Kensington lock, the viewing angle (angle you can look at the screen and still clearly see) and the price. Brand names as LG, Samsung and BenQ all have models which should interest you.

zero4zero, thats a great little write up and will help out a lot, thanks. It sounds like to get a good monitor, something that fits all or most of the things specified, its gonna cost a lot of money. Either way, i am gonna stick with my CRT for now, see if i can sell my old comp after i transfer all my files, and then with the money i make i will use that to buy the LCD screen.

BTW, i am getting a 6600GT with DVI, s-video, and VGA out, so it should work with all monitors.

Back
Top Bottom