People who KNOW how to overclock...

winterfreshpwnz

Fully Optimized
I have a question about OC'ing since I'm getting a new computer in about a week or so, and to help a little, here's the specs:

Raidmax Black Aluminum Case w/6 fans
Antec True 480W PSU
3500+ Winchester Core w/Zalman CNPS7000B-Cu heatsink and Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound
Gigabtye K8NXP-SLI or MSI K8N Diamond-SLI (I think that's the name)
Corsair XMS 2x512MB DDR400 2-3-3-6
MSI 6800 PCI-E (just one, buying another later when I need to upgrade)
Maxtor 120GB SATA HDD
NEC 16X Double Layer DVD Burner
And other external components (speakers, mouse, etc.)

So basically I wanted a little more info on how to OC. I have read a guide on how to do it, and I kinda get the basics of it now. You go to the cpu multiplier and base frequency and then raise the multiplier slowly to change the total and then there is also something about raising the vcore which needs to be done slowly so things won't get too hot. That's pretty much all I understand though. I don't really get the FSB overclocking thing or ram (like how the ram is involved and just a lot of that stuff) and I still don't fully understand the purpose of the vcore or what it is I'm doing when I raise it. So I was wondering if someone who KNOWS what they're talking about could help me a little cuz when I get the comp I wanna make sure I understand completely how to OC. Thanks so much to whoever helps.

OK well someone over at another board helped me out a little and now I get the whole FSB and ram thing, but I still don't fully get what the point of the vcore is and stuff.

ok. When overclocking an amd64, we can't raise the multipliers. It is locked on them besides the FX's.

So, basically you want to raise the HTT. Hyper Transport watever thingy.

This is like the FSB.

But when you raise this, you're also raising the speed of your ram. So you go into your BIOS and DRAM configurations, and change the running speed of your ram. Example, if it's ddr400, it'll come up as 200mhz in the BIOS. You want to lower this to 166 mhz in the BIOS. Unless you have extremely overclockable memory. And you keep doing it until you reach the limit.

Vcore, i think it's just raising the core voltage. It gives you more power, thus a higher overclock. I haven't raised mine yet, no need. In a year or so, when i need more speed, perhaps i'll see what the most i can get out of it is.

Good luck with your Winchester Core. They're not known to OC to brilliant speeds.

Um, muliplier on the MOBO isn't locked, just raise that, then the multiplier on the AMD64 is forced to raise. This is how AMD64 3500+'s reach 2.6GHz, and if that RAM thing was true, then RAM would blow up!! Just use the voltage and MOBO multipliers.. BE CAREFUL, AND TAKE YOU TIME WHEN OCing!! or else.... KABOOM or SIZZZZZZZLLLLLLLEEE! :(

or do what my brother did, he didnt want to over clock so he got someone else to do it and they destroyed it...they gave him the money he spent on it, and by that time there was a better cpu out...i think he went from 2800+ to 3400+. He may have had to put some money in too i dont remember

Yeah I've already read that guide long ago, thought it sucked, but like I said, I understand mainly what to do now. Thanks for your help people.

amd zen, u say that u can force amd64's multiplier to raise?? Please download cpu-z and show me how many multipliers u have.

give us a screen shot. I've never heard that you could.
If you really could do it, that is nice. But i also thought the same as you did. but when i raise the MOBO multiplier, it doesn't do squat for me. Nothing happens at all.

Back
Top Bottom