The goo in between proc + heatsink???

This is the standard heatsink provided with AMD processor in a box 3500+ (130nm)
The contact area does have a sort of cloth on the bottom of the heatsink, i touched it-prob shouldnt but ah well- and it did make a sort of mark (like if you touch a waxed car it leaves like a fingerprint) so i assume this does have the grease thing?

Looking through the instructions there is nothing saying at all you have to apply this grease so i think ill just go with it being ok!

so fingers crossed!

MSI KT6 Delta
ASUS V9400 MAGIC (nVIDIA GeForce MX 4000)
786MB of DDR SDRAM
AMD Athlon XP 1700+ (overclocked to 1.7 ghz)
one MASSIVE heatsync!
A load of UV LED's
Neon fan
Sunbeam samurai case
1.5m of EL wire

Imagine what is looks like! (you can see it @ http://www.freewebs.com/allmint/darkpc.jpg)

Is that pad like Thermal tape or something? theres thermal tape and paste i i don't knwo much about the tape stuff

I FOUND THIS ITEM OF INTEREST FOR YOU.
HOPE IT CLEARES THINGS UP.
What is on the bottom of your cpu is a thermal 'pad.'

These arn't very good, because when the cpu gets hot the pad melts to cover up any imperfections between the cpu and heatsink so there can be a good heat transfer.

Only problem is, the damn pad acts like superglue as well, so when you want to take your cpu out of the socket/take the hsf off, they both come off together, my cpu got ripped out of the socket due to a thermal pad!!!

I would invest in getting thermal paste.

However AMD will say if the thermal pad is damaged replace it with another AMD reccomended thermal paste/pad otherwise you risk having your warrenty voided.

Back
Top Bottom