Any Suggestions?? What to buy?

Machine789

Solid State Member
Need some suggestions on what to buy next or what might be worth buying.

Heres my specs:
-2 512 mb ram PC2100 DDR
-ATI Radeon 9550 AGP
-NOt sure what mobo but i think its 80 gb ultra ata/100
-1.70 ghz intel pentium 4

im not sure how to tell what socket my mobo is so if someone coould help me out with that also. I realized how much cheaper it is to make your own computer and would like to build one some day lol

thanks

i'd go with at least a radeon 9600xt, and that cpu isnt all that great i'd go faster...and if your planning on playing games go amd

any actual suggestions money, like brands of cpu that would be compatible? still new to this. i am looking to plays games also.

First off, find out what type of Socket your CPU is. If you don't want to open your case and find out, SiSoft Sandra 2004 _should_ be able to tell you what socket your CPU is.

If you have Socket 478, and your motherboard supports it, I would upgrade to at least a Pentium 4 2.4Ghz for about $122. If your willing to pay an extra fifty or so, you could go 3.0Ghz, which would be much better.

As for a video card, I'd recommend what money_man did, the Radeon 9600XT. It cost somewhere around $200 last I checked. If you're really into gaming, I'd suggest something a little more powerful. Maybe a 9800PRO, or something close. That'll cost about a $100 more, though.

its not that i dont wanna open my case, i have opened it numerous times, im just unsure where to look. I have looked over the mobo serveral times and have seen no info about it at all. If you could tell me where i could look, i can find out.
thanks for your time.

Machine789 said:
Need some suggestions on what to buy next or what might be worth buying.

Heres my specs:
-2 512 mb ram PC2100 DDR
-ATI Radeon 9550 AGP
-NOt sure what mobo but i think its 80 gb ultra ata/100
-1.70 ghz intel pentium 4

im not sure how to tell what socket my mobo is so if someone coould help me out with that also. I realized how much cheaper it is to make your own computer and would like to build one some day lol

thanks

I think you mean harddrive. But anyway, I would suggest upgrading your CPU.

what kind of cpu? im looking to see what guys with experience (you guys) would recommend.
this is my computer btw maybe someone could help me if they have this comp also:
Sony vaio pcv-rx651
i also tried looking this up online but came up with nothing. maybe someone who has this comp can help.
thanks

Download SiSoft Sandra. It should tell you. In order to find out from the inside of your computer, you'll need to take the heatsink off of the CPU. It's a big, square thing somewhere near the middle.

if its a 478 socket go with the 3.0ghz-3.2ghz intel with h/t you will notice a major difference compared to if you were to go with that 1.7ghz

Back
Top Bottom