Windows XP issues

SBent

Beta member
I'm usually rather successful at clearing things up on my computer, but I'm at a loss with this. About a week ago, my CDRW and DVD quit working. Driver issues. Not a problem at first considering I could fix that. I went to device manager and received this prompt 'Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.' It's mmc.exe.

I lurked on several forums and the consensus seemed to be to fix my mmc problem with the Windows CD. Obviously, I can't do that. I've ran anti-virus and spy-bot, but have come up clean. I'd like to do this on my own and would appreciate any help.

I was thinking I could purchase an inexpensive CD-Rom drive to install and run the windows disk. I'm wondering if that would work, or is there an easier way?

Thanks,
SBent

Its probably the cables or somthing. See if your bios will recognize your cd drives. If not then you have issues.

Grrr. BIOS doesn't detect them. Checking the cables was the first thing I did.

If I installed an extra CD-ROM drive to run the Windows CD (to fix mmc.exe so I can get into device manager), could that fix the problem? Or is their another way?

Thanks,
SBent

If your bios cant detect them, there is not much you can do in windows to fix it. Try taking the cable from the HD and hooking it up to the drives. If they show up in the bios turn it off. Move the cable from IDE1 to IDE2 on your motherboard and see if that works. If that works you know you have a faulty cable. If it doesnt then you know IDE2 is messed up on your motherboard.

Back
Top Bottom