How to partition a hard drive and what is a good partioning software

djvbond

In Runtime
please help I would like to know how to and what to use for partioning 1 hard drive thx... :confused:

Yeah, Partition Magic is the best, but I'm not to keen on the idea of partitioning after an OS has been installed...

do not partition with windows setup (on clean install) it tottaly fucked my 120 gig over, needed to recover data tooooook a longggg time

If you have a linux boot disk handy, I would recommend fdisk. It's a little complex, and can be hard to understand, but it's incredibly robust and can do about anything when it comes to partitioning.

Ingolf said:
do not partition with windows setup (on clean install) it tottaly fucked my 120 gig over, needed to recover data tooooook a longggg time

you must not have done something wrong, I did it with the windows xp setup disk just fine.

I've done it with the wondows xp disk and using partition magic. Partition magic is the easiest program to use. Its safe to partition a drive after an OS has been installed, but you can run into problems if you are moving a drive that has an OS installed (not recommended). Also, if you are trying to split a drive that has an OS on it that may cause problems. If this is the case, then just wipe the drive completely, reinstall the OS and partition the drive using the win setup disk.

For a clean install from scratch, I like using FDISK. Then I'll let Windows format it using NTFS. I also recommend Partition Magic when creating partitions after Windows is installed.

Back
Top Bottom