Ram Ram Ram help

Afro Joe

Beta member
hello again,

how do i find out what my pc motherboard is... im buying some ram off a friend cos its not compatable with his pc or sumthing...he says its 333mhz or sumthing??? and his isnt that. the ram is ur standard 512 stick. how do i find out what ram my pc takes and if its compatable.

cheers.

You need to find out what motherboard your computer has. if it's something like HP or some big brand, look it up on their site. If it's some custom built one, you'll probably just have to rip it open and look around for a model number.

Download SiSoft Sandra 2004. It will tell you exactly what type of RAM you have, even the manufacturer.

Charchris said:
lol try sticking it in first?
Read: Bad Idea. Sticking the wrong type of RAM into a computer has the potential to cause serious damage. You should only, _only_, ever put the right kind of RAM into your system.

You can't put the wrong type of RAM on your motherboard. Either it fits (yay) or it doesn't (boo) I don't see how it can cause damage if it wouldn't be able to fit in the slot in the first place.

Have you ever tried to put ECC RAM into a non-ECC motherboard? There's a slight difference in the notches, but it will go in. It'll be a very, very snug fit, but it will go in none-the-less. Believe me when I say, it doesn't work very well.

It's slight differences like those that can cause complications. I don't think it's unwise to at least know what time of RAM your motherboard uses before you go sticking things in.

Putting ram in wrong can cause enough problems! Back in highschool computer class, while building computers, one student put the ram in wrong and ended up melting part of the connector! Amazingly, the mobo was still fine, just minus one slot ;P

Best be careful installing and making sure everything is compatable.

Back
Top Bottom