New Server!!!! W00t!

rakedog

Fully Optimized
So this is my FIRST COMPUTER BUILD!!!!

http://plasma.dyndns.org/DSCN1190.JPG <-- The black box is the server, and that my laptop too.
http://plasma.dyndns.org/DSCN1191.JPG <-- Closeup of the server (sorry, took it at a 90 degree angle)

Here are the specs:

CPU: AMD 64 3200+ CPU, Socket 939, Winchester Core.
RAM: 1 gig (2X512) Corsair dual channel 400 ram.
Mobo: Asus board. Can't remember the specs, but 4 ram slots, onboard sata/raid controller, 5 pci slots, and some other stuff.
Hard drives: Two 160 gig 7200 rpm Sata Drives, set up on raid 0. 320 gigs total.
Reall nice case, Coolmaster Cavalier black case, 5 ide slots, and 5 smaller slots (name?)
Some 70 dollar PSU, my brother brought, can't remember the model of the top of my head, so far seems very reliable.

Then I have an old monitor, pretty old video card and floppy drive (it's a server, so I really don't care about any of it). Nice DVD/CD R/W drive (1 year old). I plan to buy it a small (slim laptop size) USB keyboard.

Here are my plans for the operating systems:

100+ gigs: Slackware10 (I'm getting irritated that they haven't updated it though, grr)
75 or so gigs to try out Gentoo
50 for an OS just so I can learn it, Debian, Fedora3, Ect.
45 for WinXP.

Man, I love this new box.

If its a server.. why not take away the monitor and everything and hook it on a network with the laptop. And leanr linux the proper way! SSH with commands or windows 2003 remote desktop!

Well, it's on the same network as the laptop. But the hub is quite far away (I have to share the network with family, so yeah)

camers said:
If its a server.. why not take away the monitor and everything and hook it on a network with the laptop. And leanr linux the proper way! SSH with commands or windows 2003 remote desktop!

I second that. Learn shell script while you're at it, quite handy.

Sorry but face the facts if its for a server. RH/CentOS/FreeBSD

muahaha how many webservers do you see running gentoo? :p

Either way it dont matter for this guy since its not a developement server like my servers :D

Back
Top Bottom