hdd problem

th3ris

Solid State Member
Whenever i turn my pc on, my hard drive makes a sound like it's grinding on something, and im getting more worried about it. Also, i just got a router, and i know my internet is spread between computers, but i get lag when playing online games. Anything i can do to boost my connection speed?

For the HDD check there arent any wires covering things and it is correctly placed and connected

I don't think there are wires covering it, its the stock hdd. I bought refurbished, if that makes a difference.

It shouldnt make a difference, its just that my ide cable was covering my RAM and i got a horrible grinding noise because of the interference

Any grinding noise is a sign your hard drives life is nearing the end. Probably best to start backing up important things. Also, if your hard drive is SMART enabled, you download a third-party SMART program to get better information on your hard drive.

As for lag, theres really no way to boost the speed aside from getting a better connection. Be sure to remember, the more you use it, the slower it's going to get, too.

uh...call me a nub, but what is SMART, and what does SMART enabled mean?

http://www.ariolic.com/activesmart/

Straight off the website:

"What is S.M.A.R.T. technology for hard drives?

S.M.A.R.T. (Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology) is implemented into all of the modern hard disks. A special program inside the disk constantly keeps tracking the condition of a range of the vital parameters: driver, disk heads, surface state, electronics, etc. At the present time, S.M.A.R.T. technology is able to predict up to 70% of all hard disk problems! However, to use this information, you firstly have to retrieve it from the disk and analyze it. This is one of the Active SMART program's tasks."

The bottom line is, if you have a newer hard drive, you have SMART. You can use ActiveSmart, which is what I linked to above, or some other program to use it.

Back
Top Bottom