Advice Required Please

wozelbeak

Daemon Poster
my childrens p.c is acting up a litle at the moment. it is running windows xp and is connected to the internet through a router, via an ethernet cable.
now we have no problem playing games on line with it, but it wont make a connection to any sites on the internet that i type into the address bar. now here is tyhe twist, if i type in the ip address lets say 204.71.200.67 it will find the site (yahoo).
there seems to be a problem with the computer converting a name into an address! if i type in http://www.google.com it comes up with page cannot be found. i notice at the bottom it seems to be searching for 1.0.0.0 !
what could the problem be?

It's a DNS problem. Makes sure the computers are using the correct DNS servers, i.e. the ones your ISP's DHCP server assigned you. If you have a Linksys router, you could use that as a DNS server. To do that, add your router's IP to the list of DNS servers to use.

You can see what DNS server the computer is using by doing the following: Run > Type 'cmd' > At the prompt, type 'ifconfig'.

You can change the DNS servers by doing the following: Control Panel > Network Settings > Right-Click your connection > Properties > Click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) > Properties > Click 'Use the following DNS Servers' > Enter the DNS server you'd like to use. > Click OK, and it should work.

this happens to me all the time. Did u try to unplug and repluging ur DSL( or if u r using cable). Try unpluging the power cord. Wait for about 10-15 seconds. Then plug it back in. Wait till all the lights r on. If that doesn't work. Unplug it, turn off your computer, and turn it onn. Right when u turn it on, plug ur box back in. Sometimes, the box needs to refresh. when u unplug it and replug it, it will configure with your computer and refresh the IP and configure itself for u to have internet. if u cannot fix ur problem, call your customer support. They are the ones who really no the ways. :D

this is the ipconfig read out,is there anything strane about this?
i am running through a dlink router via ethernet cable. the router address is 196.168.1.1.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.4
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::211:2fff:fe68:6c2f%4
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 3ffe:831f:4004:1950:0:fbea:abbf:d803

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5445:5245:444f%5
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::

Tunnel adapter Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.1.4%2
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>

Soultion set number one:

http://www.mozilla.org/

Click the Download FireFox 1.0 button, install it, and be fixed!! And never again deal with popups, spyware, adware, or crap agaiN!!

TADA, the name is AMD ZEN, and I call this trick, fixing a computer by removing any Microsoft related product from its grasp. Works every time! :D :D :D :D

i tried the mozilla download. it still won't connect to the internet. but i can still get online with other programes like limewire, and call of duty ect.
wozelbeak

when my DSN settings went all crazy we just phoned my local internet provider and they told us what to do to fix the problem

Back
Top Bottom