Purchasing new system

jamaicanbob

Baseband Member
Hi all! I'm a semi-newb in the puter world... First post wahoO!

I have an outdated system and am looking to get a new one. Until 1/5/05 a Dell Dimension 3000 can be had with

P4 3.0/800FSB/1MB cache with HT
512 MB SDRAM
80 GB Hard Drive
CDRW and DVD-ROM
Mouse and Keyboard
Free shipping

for $408. This is hella deal I think. Only problem is integrated sound and graphics. Has the Intel Integrated Extreme Graphics 2. It has no AGP slot. Also no Firewire or IEE 1394 but I don't think I'll need that?

I will get a DVD burner to put in, mainly for backing up DVD discs. So from the dvd-rom i can copy directly I believe. Is this correct? Where I can copy a whole movie on one disc no problems?

Anyways I don't play games hardly anymore (mainly because current system). The last game I was into was Diablo 2, I loved that game. If I got into games again, how would this computer run them? Is a PCI graphics card an option, I don't know how efficient they are.

Your help is MUCH appreciated thank you everyone!

Dell are rubbish. Trust me. I have a Dell, it is flimsy and bends. Anyway, AMD is better. And cheaper. Oh, and the Dell memory is cheap as well. Woot, do I enjoy slagging them off.

I don't understand. To me this sounds like Chevy drivers who insist that those cars are the best and they will never buy any other cars like imports because they SUCK!

Please try not to be biased.

The specs are there, no? At the link posted above, I would have to spend over double what I would pay for a Dell with that same stuff (excpet video card b/c no AGP). If they are such a horrible company why do people buy systems from them?

"Their stuff is flimsy and bends". I don't plan on playing with my motherboard too much as it looks like I won't have too much of a need to upgrade for awhile. If the stuff bends upon touching then I have a warranty to cover it won't I.

So you say AMD is better and cheaper than why are the puters on that site so much more expensive?

I'm not trying to argue I just don't understand your rationalization for these comments.

the reason dell is so cheap is they get cheap parts and rejected hardware. I worked there and saw at least 10 boxes that were marked "reject" in one day!!!

yourdreamsystem.com has the highest qaulty parts from top manufacturers. thier prices arent THE lowest but you'll be rest assured your system will last much longer than dells.

dells on average last no more than 6 months without replacing somehting.

my system I built has lasted over a year whout replacing anything at all!

also dells dont have proper coolign at all and the CPUs melt onto the heatsinks alot!! and my husband was a builder for dell and 3 systems he built started to smoke.

also those prices listed on the website, your not gonna get teh system for that price, thats a "bait and switch" price.

Dells are horrible. Period. If you really don't know enough to build a comp yourself then at least go to ibuypower.com or cyberpower.com or something, just anything but dell.

I was a parts sorter and I also did chassis prep and such adam was a material handler and builder

Back
Top Bottom