how to learn linux

rakeshdx

Solid State Member
hello ppl,

can anyone tell me how to learn linux and what do i need to start first. I have installed fedora core 3..

i need to know some tricks and tell me sites where i can learn linux and other stuff regarding it...

Just try out everything that can be tried out. Hands-on learning is always the best.

1) Download a distribution. I would recommend Fedora Core, or Mandrake, because they're fairly simple and are easy to understand.

2) Explore. Poke around the root directory, look at files, learn the layout. Get a general idea of where things would be.

3) Learn to use the terminal. It's the bottom line, it gives you complete control of your system. You can do _anything_ with the terminal. Learn a bit of shell script, learn basic bash commands. Don't forget about the other shells, either. Before bash, there was sh. There's also tcsh, and zsh. All good things to try.

4) Read the man pages. Every distribution comes with it's own giant manual built in. Type 'man' into a terminal, followed by the name of a program, and you'll get tons of info about it. There's also the info pages, an even bigger source of information.

5) If you don't know what something will do, try it. There are tons of basic programs included with linux. Try them. They're all uniquely different and important.

6) If something doesn't make sense, try and figure it out. Don't give what up, there's always a solution.

Just try and absorb anything you can. One very important thing, though, practice. If you learn something, don't forget it. Do it every now and then to refresh your skills. It's very important to do, Linux is so complicated, so it's very easy to forget things.

if you're hardcore, gentoo is the way to go. the documentation is excellent. every problem you could possibly encounter has been solved. forum is absoulely amazing. and if you do have a problem, there's a buncha geniuses on the forums to help you figure it out. you learn a lot from the installation.

http://www.linuxcommand.org/

good place to learn about linux in general

Actually, this thread should be in the Operating Systems directory. Not in Programming.

I say download yourself knoppix and play around with that. It's good to learn on, I just download a copy just today I've been using it at work alot as it's good for recovering stuff.

Back
Top Bottom