AMD or Intel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok i will tell you one thing, AMD is hot and Intel is cool, literally(my bro has a amd xp2600 and i got a intel 2.6 mine runs at 32*C his at 47*C) oh yeah Windows longhorn is set to come out the earliest 2006 fall, i am not gonna wait that long, and do u guys know what the 32bit and 64bit stuff is really. 32bit processors can manipulate binary numbers up to 32 bits wide, when it has more bits it makes the computer so much fester but since windows xp doesnt take advantage of them there is no point, intel comes out with its 64bits processor like in 3 months.

That's all not really correct. The 64-bit processer can process 32-bit applications at better rates and that means AMD 64 is already showing its face. And no, Intel CPUs are typically the ones that run hotter. It seems like your brother forgot to put heat transfer compound on his CPU. Intel has put its 64-bit processor on hold for now from what I heard.

I'm satisfied with my gaming using AMD

CORSAIR TWINX1024-3200XLPRO
Enermax 600 watt power supply
Zalman USA Water Cooling System RESERATOR1
Western Digital 74GB 10,000 RPM 8MB Cache SATA with RAID 0
Windows XP PRO Service Pack 2

Giancarlo said:
How anybody could say Intel is beyond me...
I have an AMD 3000+ barton 2x 512mb ram
I have an AMD 3200+ semptron 2x512mb ram
I have several other amd tbirds and such..

THis week i purchased my first intel.Its an INtel Pentium4 800mhz frontside with HT 3200. I also equiped it with 1 gig of ram.

The question i quoted above was the same question i pondered before my intel. Here are the facts

With amd you are always facing heat issues. You also experience several compatabilitly issues that you may not know about. For example windows update will show you a mod for windows for amd chips.WHY? Because it was coded under the idea of intel. Longhorn will be here in a few years. Longhorn is being designed around again an intel system meaning yet more patches for the amd user.

My biggest issue has always been heat. Many of you intel extremest may think im bogus when i say that intel clearly has an advantage here. Under the best conditions you will be hardpressed to keep your amd system under 140f without water cooling. NOTE i mean under maximum cpu ussage.

THE SETUp (3200 p4 vs 3200 semptron) SAME SETUP
Single dim 1gb DDR Crucial 533mhz serial ata 80gig 10,000 rpm disk
Geforce 6800gt 256

I have yet to run any "stats" tests because i think there results are somewhat faulty and based on programing methods rather than real performance. IF i really wanted high bench marks i would of just used my R9700 pro. So here is what i will say. Once you use you p4 you wont want to use the AMD. Simple tasks such as loading web pages is done much quicker using intel. Games seem to run smoother as well. Smoother meaning multitasking with games. You know like, when your friend AIMS you while play a MMORPG. Then you alt+tab and check that out only to find a link. So you click that link and god forbid internet explorer steals 25000kb of ram from you and causing a tempary lagggg of the system as it opens. THis doesnt happen using my intel. Its much more smooth. How much smoother? About 8 seconds smoother. Meaning, intel is about 8 seconds faster while playing heavy games like WW3 browsing the net, while on aim and MSN. then you have your voice client open to eat some more resources.

I payed 250bucks for my intel mobo and proc
I payed 199bucks for my AMD mobo and proc

Acording to tomshardware guide both products were in the top 5 of the market.

So.. why choose intel???? Because 8 seconds is more than 2.3% change in bench marks.

On the other hand AMD will exchange your proc even if you overclock it and fry it. :) INtel will slap you.

ANyway... AMD<intel by 8 seconds in my opinion.
So if 8 seconds is important to you then spend some extra cash and get the p4. If you a general home user or buisness user doing non media intensive apps, then stick with AMD.

PS: for some reason my INTel burns dvds faster as welll. kinda odd huh?

excuse me amd athlons are old news..dont talk about them. Buy a damn 64 system..

If that 8seconds with amd athlon..think about how much the 64 will kill an intel..

Do not compair old with new ;)

yes youre comparing a 32 bit with 64... intels got major problems on linux (redhat/debian/SuSe) and the latest longhorn 64 build, as well as the latest XP64 build, in fact it had lots of errors and failures and wasnt stable at all in most tests. in fact, XP64 now XPprox64, was designed FOR AMD!!!!! it was developed and tested on AMD64 platform. FIRST!!!!

Covetous: Hahah.. intel is the one that overheats more then AMD. And by the way you are comparing three processors from different lines. The Barton and Sempron are not comparable to the P4 HT. The Barton was meant to compete with the Celeron. Why oh why does my AMD 64 3000+ manage to beat the P4 EE 3.0GHz in many of the tests I wonder? Because it is faster. And it uses a lot less heat. It is more efficient. Intel is NOT faster with games. I don't know what kind of crap you reading but you are all off. You said you had a Barton and Sempron.. of course an Intel P4 HT would be faster... sheesh.. you are comparing two budget CPUs with a higher end CPU. Why not be fair and compare a 64-bit Athlon 3200 or even 64-bit Athlon FX-51, 53, or even 55 with the P4 HT EE? You will notice the Athlon leaves Intel in the dust.

And thumbs down to fools who compare Bartons and Semprons with P4 with HT.... what a fool. By the way, the Longhorn is NOT developed around the Intel. It is developed around 64-bit CPUs, which include the Athlon 64.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom