I need help with my "12v core processor" thingy

philvia

Baseband Member
Okay, I am building my computer part-by-part and i just got the mobo... I plugged in all the front panel stuff and tried to turn it on.. o_o *gasp* nothing turns on! I get mad and annoyed then I go play socom2 online. I just looked in the help section for my Intel D865PERL mobo (website: http://intel.com/design/motherbd/rl/index.htm ) and it says

"Ensure the power supply cable with the 4-pin connector is plugged into the 12V processor core voltage connector located near the processor socket on the desktop board."

Problem lies there... I don't have one, wtf. Is it supposed to come with the PSU? If so, it didn't. Or do i buy that seperate?

yep..you're gonna have to have it, it's an auxillary power connection for the cpu. did you buy a case too or are you just putting this into a case you already have? you'll probably have to buy a new power supply

that's a cool interactive site. I love the free roaming feature of the motherboard. That motherboard from what I see has the 4 pin connector so you may have to get a new power supply that has the 4 pin power plug for it. Is it possible to attach an adapter to an existing power cable with a 4 pin power cable? Since I never built a Penium based system before, I never have to worry about the 4 pin connector because the Athlons don't use that, or I don't think so. Normally, the power supply will come with it-at least the ones that are used for the Intel motherboard.

Oh, I didn't know that. Yes you are right. I don't know why I never bother to look closely on the motherboard. Guess I was impatient for the picts to load on my dial up connection. That's good to know so now I will make sure to get the right power supply.

I bought the case in July... it's an Antec SuperLanboy. The PSU is an old one from my old computer. I was hoping to use it for a little while because it's not that bad, but I was planning on buying a new PSU anyways. Will all the new PSU's have this connector or is it just certain ones, if so, how will I tell?

well for the psu, it should be listed in the info, if you buy it from an online store or whatever, they should list all the connectors that it has. all the upper end power supplies these days should have them.

Back
Top Bottom