Hard Drive is present but the computer wont detect it

NyeGuy553

Solid State Member
Hard Drive Problem - ntoskrnl.exe

First of all my computer specs are in my sig.
This is a 4 month old computer, from dell. It was working great but not it cannot find the hard drive.

I opend my computer case to see the video card and I shut it back up and tried to start it but it couldn't find the hard drive. At first it said there was a corrupt file but it hasn't said that anymore. The file was <windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe. I don't have my Win Xp Pro discs with me so I can't do it. It has been 2 days now and it has not displayed this message ever again. It now goes to the dell splash screen and just repeats this. I tried using the Win Home Ed. but it wouldn't work.

Some people have said that the HD is dead, others have said that a cord got loose and that I should reconnect everything, and some of said that all I need to do is find that ntoskrnl.exe file and boot it.

I have no idea what to do... anyone with this similar problem could help me, that would be great. I'm going to take it to a local hardware store, I think, and have them look at it.

I've already contacted dell... but they aren't very helpful in this matter. If I had my Discs... I could probably resolve this easily, I think. Since I don't... any help would be great.

Western Digital is bad for doing similar things... Try the cable first... Disconnect the interface cable but leave the power. Power it up for a minute, shut back down and try again with the interface cable.

Something else to try would be see if anything like Fdisk could find it. Make sure it's not just some damaged partition or something.

man
its spyware thats wat im putting my money on it did the same to my Cd-rw and DvD drives get spybot and spyware doctor and try em if that dosnt work im all oujt of ideas

Well, Its most likely your PS/2 or keyboard. Go buy a quality USB keyboard. Make sure it is a USB keyboard. That should fix the problem, hopefully.

Trust me if it doesnt work then Ill eat my shirt. Also if you dont want to spen the money on the USB keyboard without being absolutely sure, boot up your system with out the keyboard plugged in. If it boots up fine, then you will know its the keyboard.

Back
Top Bottom