DSL or Cable?

There some good points made here. Judging by the comments, I will try out DSL for awhile. Location is the primary factor, and the closer to the phone company the better or if I even qualify for DSL, I will try it out. If not, then I have no choice but cable. If DSL satisfies me, yeah, I'll stick with the cheaper DSL much longer. The thing that makes me doubtful regarding DSL is some of my friends have DSL and they told me that it gets pretty slow from time to time (also depending on what site you go to). That's strange to me because I thought cable suffer from that due to shared bandwidth like someone mentioned before. It's probably their location then or transmission of data seem to get corrupted a lot (perhaps phone line problems).

So the SBC is good? I will also get some info through Verizon. They won't charge me for adding an additional PC to share the DSL internet will they?

SBC for me is great. Verizon isn't so good for my friend but that's the only time I heard about it being used. Yahoo SBC is $26.95 and is great indeed. Yes, cable is on a shared connection and as far as I know in Southern California, the cable companies put on huge additional fees (and hidden fees). If you cancel, you get slammed.

If you share the internet with like a LAN network thing it won't be a problem. They wouldn't have to know. It is your own network, and afterall is still one connection.

Is the $26.95 a fixed rate or does that depend on location too? I hope I can have that price. That is way cheap for broadband and much more attractive as far as price goes.

Also, how would you setup the network to share the internet? I plan on going wireless and got the hardware down (wireless DSL router, wireless adapter cards), but as far as configuring the IP addresses between two computers get complicated (Gateway, DNS, TCPIP stuff).

Aww man, the speed in Canada is mush better than the US, but the choices in providers really suks here. :( $26.95 is an awesome price for high speed.

TRDCorolla1 said:
Is the $26.95 a fixed rate or does that depend on location too? I hope I can have that price. That is way cheap for broadband and much more attractive as far as price goes.

Also, how would you setup the network to share the internet? I plan on going wireless and got the hardware down (wireless DSL router, wireless adapter cards), but as far as configuring the IP addresses between two computers get complicated (Gateway, DNS, TCPIP stuff).

You can have $26.95/month if you are in the So. Cal. area... just check the availability. If you are in a urban/suburbian area it is certainly gonna be there.

You will need a DSL router (wireless or otherwise) and a LAN card on the second computer. Configuring the IP addresses can be easy.. it just assigns one for each computer. 192.168.0.1 is for the first computer (typically), and 192.168.0.2 is for the second computer. Gateway should be auto-detected too.. as well as the rest of the stuff. There should be some manuals on how to do it provided with the card or something.

oh, so the IP addresses are pretty much done automatically. "Obtain DHCP automatically" deal? Sounds good. I rather do this network setup myself knowing that the ISP may charge me extra to have more than one computer sharing the one connection.

you dont pay extra for the more computers u have..

Right now im paying $30.00 US a month for a 3.0Mbit / 128KB connection. And they gaurentee me UNLIMITED BANDWIDTH

Who do you go through for the unlimited bandwidth? Some companies put a cap on how much per month or they'll start charging. I hope not SBC or Verizon.

d_source....i use tekksavvy.. its a local compagny they offer almost all of ontario. Here is the list of the GTA locations :

180 Islington
2664 Islington
Acton
Adelaide
Alness
Asquith
Bellevue
Donlands
Downsview
Dufferin
Eagle Rd
Eglinton