Harddrive problems.

Cell

Solid State Member
Hello. I recently bought a 250 GB Western digital hard drive. I installed it fine since i can use it, but when i installed it i used the software and it said I cannot use all of the 250 GB because of something and it limited me to 137 or so GB. Then i read the package it came in and it said "For harddrives greater then 137 GB, I may need a Ultra ATA controller card. I am quite confused, is there a way to get around being limited to 137 GB, or do i have to buy something on the side? If so, where can i get it... Or can someone show me a site that shows a picture of it or something. Or is it just a download. Thanks.

well you can download a patch if you are using xp, other than that, I think you'll need to buy an ATA controller card. should tell you something in the hard drives documentation about where you can get a patch, if you're using xp that is.

I tried getting windows XP Service pack 2, my friend also gave me bios updates and It still displays as 137 GB, when my HD is a 250 GB HD.

Can someone help me find out how to get it up to 250 GB. I hvae a western Digital 250 GB, the model number is something like WD25000JD or WD25000JB or something (not sure if the ending is JD or JB)... I would greatly appreciate it.

Edit: I am not sure the files for the bios update my friend sent me were the right ones, or was the one to fix the limitation on my 250 GB HD... Where can i get a RIGHT bios update for my mobo. I have a Compaq.. The model number (im not sure if this is the right number, but ill give it anyways) is "Presario 4410CA". If thats the right one, where can i get a bios update for that.

I downloaded the bios updates, yet my drive still sais 137 GB... This is weird... people say i could fix it with the data lifeguard tools for windows, yet theres only like 4 options in the windows one; Copy to Copy, Setup Harddrive, Hard drive information, Tutorial. And I went to each one of those, there is no option to bypass the 137 GB limit.

Back
Top Bottom