Help with Router!!!!

truarabplaer

In Runtime
Ok I have a linksys wired router, and i cant get it to share internet, its connected to 2 computers, ones a desktop the other a laptop. I had both sharing internet, but the router got reset and i coudnt get it working again. they are connected, i think its just not connecting from the dsl modem to the router, because i can transfer files from computer to computer. Thanks for anyone who can help.

truarabplayer said:
Ok I have a linksys wired router, and i cant get it to share internet, its connected to 2 computers, ones a desktop the other a laptop. I had both sharing internet, but the router got reset and i coudnt get it working again. they are connected, i think its just not connecting from the dsl modem to the router, because i can transfer files from computer to computer. Thanks for anyone who can help.

I have a similar setup but with a diffrent router. I need to ask you a few questions before I can diagnose the problem.

1. Is WEP Encryption enabled on your wireless network?

2. Any special configuration on the router?

and what do you mean the router got reset? It got reset to factory default settings?

1) Its a wired router. I dont think WEP applies?
2)Theres no special setup on the router, I think i have to change the ip on the computers or somthing.

3) Yes the router is back to the factory settings, i has it working at one time.

truarabplayer said:
1) Its a wired router. I dont think WEP applies?
2)Theres no special setup on the router, I think i have to change the ip on the computers or somthing.

3) Yes the router is back to the factory settings, i has it working at one time.

I am not sure on your case to be honest because of lack of information. I used to have a Linksys router and 90% of my wireless network is using Linksys Wireless cards. Linksys has free technical support at 1-800-linksys. I suggest you give them a ring! :)

You need to determine how your PC's are getting there IP's.If the router is configured as an DHCP you should be able to set your PC's to obtain an IP atomaticlly from network properties.If not you need to go into the router via IE enable DHCP.Don't forget to hit the apply buttons when finished changing settings and on main page click it also even if you didn't change anything.

Or you can set them up manully.
exaple Gateway(router)192.168.1.1
PC1 192.168.1.2
pc2 192.168.1.3

DNS servers of ISP you can get this from routers status page(set router to get IP automaticlly)
This must be set in alll PC's

hope this helps and not to confusing.Any more questions post back.

I see you said you can still transfer Files so it seems IPS are ok double check there addresses.See if you can PING router.

in some configurations u have to add the dns server manually in the tcp/ip settings.even when they are in the router.ip static or manual dont matter but if i dont set the dns manually it wont work.
edit : :S in the pc itself i mean offcourse :S but then again it could be u dont need to.i have 2 connections with 2 routers one cable one dsl on the dsl its mandatory to specify dns .u would do that by going too network connections riteclick >properties>tcp/ip properties

Back
Top Bottom