Problems with a new build

Kelly2

Beta member
I recently went to a PC shop here in town that has spare parts for sale with no warranty. I'm building a PC to act as a file server/storage box and I thought I was almost done until today. A co-worker was looking at it before we installed the OS (XP) and while I was in the bathroom, he took the battery out of the MoBo. Not a big deal, but now all the PC will do is power up for a second and shut down. :(

Before this, it would go through the bios and stuff and end at a boot disk error since there is no OS. Now I get nothing!

I tried it again with another power supply, and still nothing. I have no idea where to start, and the shop I got it from said it's either the PS or a short. This normally wouldnt be a big deal on a MoBo that I only paid $10 for, but I like this one. Here's the board: http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K7N2-L&class=mb

I have a duron 2300 or 2400 or something processor and 128 MB of ram for now. (I'm not a REAL computer guy) ;)

Any ideas on what to do? Should I start over with another Scrap MoBo?

I say start over since its only 10 dollars you spent on the first one, but dont go solely on me, get some other opinions first :p

He says he didnt, but I was out of the room. This is the only thing that is different and now nothing happens.

I'm thinking maybe he didnt ground himself first??? :confused:

The link is broken but from what I can make out from the link, you're interested in the K7N2 (nvidia nforce chipset) motherboard. MSI make excellent motherboards in my opinion and you can't go wrong with them. Is this it?

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K7N2-L&class=mb

If so, your Duron and memory should work with this board. Since your original motherboard is fried, I think it would be a good idea to start with a fresh build from ground up.

So, the concensus is just to chuck the old one and get a new one...?

Anyone can do that, I figured I'd get info on how to fix it or what to look for. :confused:

I guess it's just like with cars. There are Mechanics and Technicians... I'd rather have a mechanic work on my stuff...

Well, I went back to the PC shop and told them what was up, they gave me a different board (for free) to try out. This one starts up, but now the video card isnt working. Either the AGP slot is fried on this one (the other one showed video with this card) or the card got damaged when the 'smart guy' damaged the other board.

I'm going to look for another card now. I hope this works!

Back
Top Bottom