s video

oneafterdark

Baseband Member
hey guys, i just got a dvd player with a svideo port.. is there a way to hook my computer to my tv screen with it? is there another way that works better? i just want to be able to use my tv instead of this little ass monitor... thanks

I'm a bit confused... Do you mean you got a stand alone unit or one for your computer?

Assuming you meant for your computer... S-Video is the highest quality most computers will export. If your TV has this port, you should get pretty decent quality from it. If not, you can use an S-Video to RCA converter(or even make one) without too much of a drop in quality.

There's also component video, but I don't think any computers export that right now... Some might have converters, but I don't know if the quality is any better...

One note, video on a TV from a computer will look quite blurry when compared to a stand alone DVD player. Why? Resolutions. TVs run at something like 720x480 where as computers run at much higher resolutions for the most part. Then, a computer screen is not interlaced like a TV, and the video card has to compensate for that. IE, loss of quality...

alright, thanks for your help, my computer does have a s video port, but my tv doesnt, but i will do what you where saying and get the converter and let you know how it turns out, or post if i need anymore help

ok, problem #2, i just looked, and my new computer doesnt have an svideo port, i do have a video card that has one but the one i have right now is an integrated video card, and is better then the other one, is there any other way to get it to my tv without one? or do i just have to put the other card in?

There are little converters you can buy that have TV-Outs on them. They usally sell for about $50-$100. The only problem with them is the quality is a good bit less than most TV-Outs on video cards.

Back
Top Bottom