Win 2000 and Xbox

NARKOSIS1

Beta member
I've been trying to get a clear answer to this on the Xbox forum but its not happening. I have my Xbox connected directly to my NIC card using a patch cable to connect to Live. A question was brought up on which type of cable is needed for System Link (connecting two Xbox's together). The most common answer (which I understand) is a cross-over cable since your connecting two NIC cards together. But what I dont understand is why can I use a Patch cable to connect my xbox directly to my PC and I cant use a Patch cable to connect an Xbox to an Xbox?

i may be wrong as i don't own an XBOX but i don't think you can link two XBOX together directly, i may be wrong!

lol... you can, thats why most games have options for "System Link" and its very popular to have "System Link Parties" up to at most with 16 xboxs (but usually just 4).

But its irritating the hell outta me because no one can give me a clear answer to my main question anywhere! lol

that may be why:

NARKOSIS said:
But its irritating the hell outta me because no one can give me a clear answer to my main question anywhere! lol

Don't you need a HUB or a Computer to act as a server?

technoman said:
that may be why:

Don't you need a HUB or a Computer to act as a server?

I guess im using my computer as a type of server. I only need one device (xbox) to connect to the internet to get Live. If Im using the ethernet adapter on the computer does it do a sort of signal correction since im using a patch cable to connect and thats why you need a cross-over cable to directly connect two xbox's together? It just seems odd. Because if I were to connect another computer to my computer via the ethernet adapter, then Id need a cross-over cable to do it, not a patch cable.

Back
Top Bottom