Human Processing Power

Xpiatio

Beta member
It was only the other day my friend and I were walking down the path in a river edged park. We were talking about privacy that day and how technology has hit a formidable obstacle. I brought up the point that in my management class we were talking about how in the next 5 to 10 years keyboards will be replaced by voice recognizers. I told him that I really didn't see this happening only because thought is ten times faster than speaking. There are many people who can type and think faster than they can talk. Not only that, but languages are so complex and only becomes more complex when you started adding in dialects. It will be pretty hard for a computer to determine the difference between the words “dear” and “deer”. To me it doesn't seem logical to go directly from non-vocal typing to vocal typing. There are dozens of draw backs and one of those draw backs is efficiency.

I took a typing test for a position at a branch of the Grand Rapids Public Library system about a year ago. While I was glad that I could type faster than 40 wpm the person next to me typed about 82 wpm. I just couldn't believe that she typed that fast. Can some one talk that fast in a clear linear form at a constant basis and have a computer recognize each pronunciation to write down the correct word? We know that our thought processes can go even faster. Our neurological powers can think of multiple complex concepts within a minute at the same time and piece them together to form a logical structure, so much more than the number of words we can type. It would only seem logical to tap into that power rather than to render words through voice. Though voice is an effort that is still an emittance from our body, much like the force that is emitted to press a single key on a keyboard, it would only seem logical to start focusing our efforts on computer interaction between thought processes and computer task handling.

Networks have evolved so much in so little time. We are having new standards being developed as you read this. We have gone from hard-wire standards to wireless standards. From small networks, such as a home networks, to large networks, such as the internet, we have pieced together small networks to talk to other networks, both small and large. We even have pieced a hard-lined network to a wireless network. What is the next stage? Shouldn't it be connecting an inner complex network of neurological computing to both hard-line and wireless networks?

To me it would only seem like the next logical step. But to overcome some big formidable obstacle would seem very daunting. Our culture, as it stands right now, will not allow us to proceed with such developments. The culture is directly influenced by personal beliefs. In the Christian realm, there are those that worry about the “sign of the beast” as told in the book of Revelations. There are those that are very paranoid and worry about “Big Brother”. And there are those that are worried about technology falling into the wrong hands. These are very healthy thoughts and I, for one, agree with them all. We are not ready for it, as a culture and as a world society.

We could have chips inserted into us that would emit a code which would allow a computer to look up your information. This would allow us just to walk out of a store with our goods and automatically be billed. This would allow people who have run away from home be found. This would allow for automated emergency response. This would allow for a single chip that would store our DNA signature and combined with specific movements of body parts and individual issuance of IP6 addresses to allow for a more secure data encryption and protection. But we always run into obstacles.

Privacy, every one wants it. The world's most powerful man is the one who attains the most information and the ability to use it. Just think about the ability to control our computers with out mind. At first it would be a novel idea. But if you think about it, it is a very dangerous idea. We all have heard of hackers. There are people who desire information and there are those who desire information and want to use it. Think about neurological computing. A hacker could neurologically hack into government computers and set the world ablaze in a nuclear holocaust. A person could neurologically hack into another person and allow for mind control. This would be a new front to the ever going war on terror.

I do not think we are at the stage and we are far from it. I will not be one who will get chipped when the time comes. Society will be torn apart. IQ ratings will be the new basis of computing power, instead of level of hertz. There will be new forms of discrimination. Low IQ will result in a low computing power thus suggesting the label of obsolete. Human beings may even be turned into a distributed system and used to power an elitist world ran on the combined power of like minds. Can all of us say “Matrix”? This concept is very complex and the complexities run deep. As for now I believe that we will stay with some form of keyboards and mice but we will soon enough be confronted with this concept as more and more inventors try to push the barriers of ideology.

That was pretty crazy man. But why would it be any harder to interprate thought than speach?

Hey, nice post. I would never allow a chip to be inserted into me. I mean, like you said, a skilled hacker could control me, which could be catastrophic. I mean, if you have hackers who control the president........ yeah......

But anyways, I think i would type way faster then I would ever talk...

Hehe, it really makes you think, woudl the margin of error be greater or smaller if it wsa speach rather than typing, i mean i can talk pretty fast, but if my computer sukcs then it wont interprate it fast enough, but then again, if i type fast enoguh, it comes out like crap (Like this, didnt fix errors to prove a point);

What is the human speed, I though it was about 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 (billion) Hz, is that correct?

Kinda reads like my networking stuff... boring, but very very interesting.

It's kinda like Futurama, where they have the work Chips, only that's it, not the whole control over everything ... thing...

yah, i've heard of this technology...They are playing around w/the idea of placing tiny memory chips in the brain to max out our own memory.

But , you are right on the money ....when you say that their is allway's a scary chance of being mind hacked.

Back
Top Bottom