11,00 or more dead

rakedog said:
And it's the biggest quake in 40 years... Plus the first time tsunamies have struck civilization in like 50 years or something (I think the last time was in alaska)

Correct to the first one. But that second part is wrong. Tsunamis have hit Japan and other areas in the pacific ocean (asian side) in the past. There were several tsunamis in the past. Additionally, some have hit Hawaii.

Whoops. My bad. But the last BIG/HUGE one was back like 120 years ago or so when the coast of India was struck by a massive tsunami and up to 100,000 people were believed to be dead.

rakedog said:
Whoops. My bad. But the last BIG/HUGE one was back like 120 years ago or so when the coast of India was struck by a massive tsunami and up to 100,000 people were believed to be dead.

Again, no it wasn't. Tsunamis have been huge in size off Japan. The Japanese were prepared for it and that was the reason why they had few casualities.

By big or Huge i implied that massive casualties were involved. But I see your point, and it's true as well.

Yeah, japan has a really good anti-tsunami system, I've read about that, it's impressive. I just don't think the people in southern asia were expecting anything like this, so they were caught by surprise

lol see there you are arguing for no real reason but to argue.

at the time I posted this I had not looked at the article I posted with it. I was baseing the 8.5 figure on an article I read within a few hours of the occurance and at that time 500 was the official death toll.

So details are shaky at such an early stage. The death toll should rise to atleast 40 grand possibly 50 or more over the next little while.

My friends whole family died except for him and 2 of 5 sisters. 3 of his sisters, his dad, and his mom died. They went over to Sri Lanka to vaca. He didnt go because he had a project to do and his sisters were watching him.

Hmm, if true that is sad, so far 8 americans have died. If true they would account for most of them.

Well see in the news if so.

Last I heard, over 21,000 people died. That is a crap load of people. News reporter were saying that this could have been completely avoided if those contries participated in the Tsunami warning program. It's a shock to see how so many people died!!!

It is at 26,000 right now and I expect it to climb to 30,000. It just seems like a number.. and just putting a number on this doesn't give justice to those who perished in one of the largest catatrosphes to occur in this area.

DPN, I express my deepest sadness towards your friend's family. I don't know how it would be to lose my dad and mom.

Back
Top Bottom