A confused Computer Buyer

fantasticuno

Beta member
Its about time i upgraded my computer, just is a n00b to doing so.

To take out my P4 socket 478 2.4ghz processor, would that require any extra tools. Or is it just a plug in kind of thing, where you just pull it out of the motherboard?
Is that the same thing with replacing, like a 3.4ghz?

If i already have 2 512mb PC3200's plugged in, what if i buy just a single stick of 512? Would that not work, or would it run at 1536mb? I think the original 2x512mb's are dual channel.

Thanks, if i have anymore questions, ill post it here.

The only thinkg you need to remove a processor is something to pop the heatsink off. After that, there's just a little lever that you move to unlock the processor and it pops right out.

As for the ram, I'm still not 100% sure how all DDR ram works. I don't think you'll have any problems as long as the ram is compatable with your board(you can check the manufacturers site for that)

I still need some help as to if the ram will work. 3x 512mb PC3200... is that possible? or does it need to be an exact 2gig ram (4x 512mb).

DDR ram don't have to be installed in pairs. You can have any amount of RAM you wish. If 512 MB stick is all you want for convienence, then that will do just fine. Make sure it is supported with the motherboard and good to go.

Back
Top Bottom