first build help

ok, man the little things r gettin me worried about the build. is there any other parts that will be needed in a build?

no don't sweat it. That's why I like to buy retail at Newegg sometime. When the parts are labeled "Retail" then you get everything included (screws, manual, software, pretty retail box, brackets if necessary). If it is OEM, it comes with nothing but the hardware itself. THe motherboard comes with everything you need to get your computer running, even a variety of screws to attach to your case or is it the case that comes with screws? Forgot. If the screws aren't enough, then you can get them at a computer store or online.

I have some cables and screw from leftover build so I can afford to buy OEM parts. "Retail" just makes it easier if you can fork over the extra cost.

Besides that, you don't need anything else. Just to diffentiate the OEM from Retail. Retail is complete while OEM is not. I like to get the CPU retail because it comes with the right size heatsink and fan for best performance. It has the thermal compound already on the bottom of the heatsink ready for mounting on the CPU itself. Yay for convienence.

do i really need artic silver thermal compound if im buying retail? or is the supplied thermal compound suffic.?

not really. The retail box you're getting already comes ready to install on the motherboard. When I got my AMD Athlon XP 2500 (retail box, not the OEM processor by itself) it came with a nice set of instructions, the heat sink, the fan, and of course the CPU itself. On the bottom of that heatsink there was a patch of silver heat transfer compound with a piece of paper over it ready for you to tear it off and apply it on the processor. So I don't think you need to apply any more thermal compound to it.

The OEM processors, you will have to buy the Arctic Silver, right size heatsink and fan.

yeah, that will work fine. I might get that one too because of the secure connection--not that it's going to come loose or anything being inside the case and all.

You have two OEM optical drives (one DVD burner and a regular DVD ROM). Your motherboard comes with one so that can go on one of them as a primary master connection. Unless you want to use the primary slave connection, you can use just the one cable.

If it was me, I'm using another IDE cable for the secondary master controller for the DVD ROM so it won't suffer a performance hit. You already have the floppy cable that comes with the motherboard so you don't have to worry about that.

Back
Top Bottom