first build help

I would get the geforce FX 5x00 series or higher. For ATI, get the RADEON 9700's or higher. Whatever you can afford. You will kick ass with a 9800 Pro. That will allow you to play Doom 3 with optimal performance. Get good processor and system memory too.

Those all look good to me. The graphics, I would go with Nvidia's GeForce FX or 6800 line. The 6600GT is a bit low. Don't forget your cables and other accessories. The processor was exactly the one I plan on getting without breaking an arm and a leg.

with the specs you have now you'll be ok. It's fully capable of playing any game out there without worries. The specs I mentioned will improve your performance more. I would build your system.

"Don't forget your cables and other accessories"
where can i get these?
"I would set up SATA RAID 0 for max performance"
how do i do that?

Your motherboard comes with a single SATA cable. If you want RAID, you'll need another one. You have one floppy and one IDE cable already so you'll also need an extra IDE for your DVD ROM. Use the other one for the DVD+RW. I would get these and he mounting screws for some of your drives at a local computer shop. They're cheap.

RAID 0, I have never set one up before. I plan on doing that as well next month sometime when I get my new system built. Your motherboard supports RAID 0 so that's good. I guess you just plug in the two SATA drives, put the Windows XP CD and start installation. Press F6 during the process to load software for RAID from a disk it comes with. Once, that's installed, you have to configure your drives in Windows Computer management. That's where it gets tricky. Hope someone will respond about RAID0.

thanks i found the cables on newegg. about the mounting screws, the case/drives dont come with these?

Back
Top Bottom