AMD or Intel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what is the best CPU to use on overall performance (multitasking and playing games at the same time)? I keep leaning towards the new P4 because of the PCIe support and all. The Athlon 64 is a mean processor, but everything else is the same on the board.

Definitely AMD with the Athlon 64+.... PCIe... one problem... there is almost no difference between AGP 8X and PCIe... and PCIe slots will be coming soon on AMD supported boards. Why go with something that brings you almost no difference, and go with a 32-bit processor? Plus, Intel has 20 pipelines, while AMD has 8. Lower is better in this case.

oh cool, that is leaning me a bit more towards the AMD side. AMD's already got a Gigabyte board that supports PCIe retail at Newegg. I saw it in another post. But the 64-bit won't use any of it's potential yet because there's no 64-bit application for it right? Or is it still faster even on 32-bit applications?

Even though there aren't 64-bit apps yet, it just means that AMD 64 will run 32-bit apps that much better and smoother and you are still more future-ready with the AMD 64. And the nforce 4 boards are coming soon. As well as nforce 4 SLI which I'm sur eyou already know can run two gfx cards at a time, something Intel doesn't have yet. The FX-55 IMO is the best CPU out from either company and you can even see some benches over at anandtech.com which is the best benchmark, news, etc. site around IMO. As a matter of fact, here is a bench that was made about two months ago when the fx-55 and 4000+ were first coming out. The results clearly show AMD being the all around winner.

http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2249

yup, I've made my decision already. Intel no more. Athlon 64 is in!!!!!!!! You guys convinced me. Maybe Intel can play catch up one of these days. By the way, great website for reviews.

TRDCorolla1 said:
But the 64-bit won't use any of it's potential yet because there's no 64-bit application for it right?

Actually, you can run most GNU/Linux distributions in 64-bit mode, and it makes a huge difference. Windows has not caught up yet naturally.

actually, there's lots on teh server side! he he! more apps will come be patient for them to work teh bugs out! ;) tehy'll come ;) they are depending on us to demand them more, btu they'll come and they will rock with amd64!!!

Well doesn't matter to me, I'm not a Windows user. :)

But you have so many vendors you have to wait for, it will be a while before 64-bit is viable on Windows.

Its terribly true; I've had to go around searching and fiddling just to get internet on the Evaluation Version of Windows XP x64.

Loads of stuff just doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom