New PC - help

Thatslife

Beta member
The sales are on and I want an new PC. Currently I have AMD 1600 and am really confused over the various specs of PCs.

Would like something around 3Ghz clock speed but don't really understand the info re motherboards and FSB??? AMD or Intel??

Can anyone shed a little light on this and recommend some decent (but not too expensive) specs??

Thanks

intel is better for multi-tasking but amd is what you want if your gunna be playing games and things like that

PROCESSOR = AMD Sempron 2500 + (£49.63)
MOTHERBOARD = MSI K7N2 Delta-L SKT A 8xAGP DDR400 Nforce2 6ch Sound LAN USB 2.0 Motherboard (£39.99)
Hard Disk DriveHitachi 7K250 40GB Deskstar 7200rpm Serial ATA150 8MB Cache - OEM (£32.99)

All Prices and Products from Ebuyer.com (UK)

"MOTHERBOARD = MSI K7N2 Delta-L SKT A 8xAGP DDR400 Nforce2 6ch Sound LAN USB 2.0 Motherboard "

That's what I have now!!! What a coincidence. I feel it can be much improved, but for the price, it's nice to have. I'm using that with my Athlon XO 2500. I feel Intel boards can play games just as good as the AMD can. I love AMD which is why I've built my last few systems using nothing but AMD. But looking at the specs of the new Pentium 4 HyperTransport, oh man--I did it again, I mean HyperThreading, they're very similar. The new P4 and chipset have support for the PCIe graphics board and dual channel DDR2 which should help increase boost making it competitive even with the AMD Athlon 64. There's not a whole lot of apps for the 64 yet so we're swimming in the same boat now. The AMD currenly does not have a supporting chipset on retail that can support the DDR2 and PCIe technology. I know it's in the works now, but wouldn't you think the Intel board would be better using those? What do you guys think? The fact that AMD has integrated memory into their processor for the new Athlon 64 makes it even faster.

I find myself playing games and do a lot of multitasking. SO a P4 would be good?

Back to original post. Some people swear by AMD, while others go with Intel. Both are good, but if you read what I post in the last paragraph, you can see I'm in a dilemma as to what is the best to get as well. When building a PC make sure the core components (motherboard, CPU, memory) are running at a compatible speed with the motherboard or what the motherboard supports. Read up on specs. That helps. The higher the number, the faster. That's how I look at it. I wish I can see some hardcore benchmarks of the Athlon 64 system and a P4 HThreading using the socket LLg775, PCIe graphics card, dual channel DDR2 memory.

AMD's clockrate is rated a little differently than Intel. I see the Athlon 64 has a 2.4GHz processor and the Intel has a 3 GHz P4 processor with all the good stuff.

MSI make good boards. It comes with a heatsink and fan on the Northbdridge for better heat protection plus I added a heatsink on the Southbridge. Edit, AMD does have a board out for the PCIe. It's the Gigabyte nForce4 motherboard supporting Athlon 64. That is a power motherboard. I think it's retailed not too high, close to this motherboard. Let me double check.

Here it is. CHeck this site out on the Gigabyte motherboard. I think it will be better you get this board instead. Of course you'll need new Athlon 64 processor and memory and all. But the price is so similar and you get more out of this board.

AMD XP 3200+ (400FSB) 512KB L2 Cache - Motherboard: Asrock K7S41 400FSB

Does this sound ok to anyone?

What's the clock speed of this baby??

Back
Top Bottom