New to the scene

TRDCorolla1

Golden Master
Hello everyone. I'm new here and to the computer forum in general. I'm a member at various car forums (03 Corolla), but this is my first computer forum.

Anyways, what car lover doesn't like computers? THey're soooo related in every way. I modify my car like I modify my computer but the car tends to be a bit more expensive especially after I added the TRD Supercharger to my Corolla.

I've built 4 systems in the last 2 years, all MSI board supporting AMD (Barton core mainly using Athlon XP's). I am in the process of building my fifth system, this time using Intel hopefully in January. I find that prices are pretty competitve now than before. I thought about going the 64-bit route with the new Athlons, but found the new P4 Hypertransport, err, Hyperthreading LGA 775 processor is just as capable and the supporting chipsets are so widespread in supporting dual channel DDR2 and PCIe. Plus, Intel's coming out with new dual core processors next year. I've looked up parts already and do my shopping off of www.newegg.com. They have the best deals and great serivce/delivery.

I hope to get lots of info here. Oh, and I also plan on my first ever RAID 0 SATA setup. So give me some tips here, hehe. I'll search also.

Thanks, I still consider myself a total newbie to the computer world. I took interest a few years ago playing games. That got me into all the upgrades and got me taking computer classes. I have basic knowledge, but always learning. My knowledge of DOS is very limited, but hopefully we won't have to use that too often. I'm lucky I haven't encountered too many DOS configs, except FDISK and FORMAT. Done my fair share of that!!

Welcome. I think you should go the AMD 64 route, but I guess it all really depends on what you're doing on the comp. Oh and AMD is gonna have dual core cpu too with the opertons. :)

Yeah, I heard about that. Very expensive though. I've been using AMD this whole time and I thought a change of pace might be refreshing. I swore two years ago I would never use Intel processors. Guess time has changed. Athlon 64 939 socket was what I originally wanted using the 9nm process. I could build a 64-bit system for almost the same price as a P4 HT system. I wish I could wait to build my next PC but I can't wait. This PC I'm using right now will be given to my sister who needs it badly.

I mainly play games on it (ie, NFSU 2, Unreal Tournament, other EA Sports games, Age of Empires, RIse of Nations, etc.), want to watch TV eventually, music editing.

Holy crap!! I looked at the site and some prices are very good. Do you buy most of your hardware through them? How are they on shipping charges and delivery time? Newegg can ship my stuff and get it to me in 2-3 days regular ground shipping with Fed EX.

Back
Top Bottom