lagging problems

mighty_chick

Fully Optimized
I just got Half-Life 2 for christmas and I have to have all the settings on minimum except for a few which are pointless settings anyway. If i dont have them down my the game gets really choppy and it starts to lag the computer. i have the recommended amount of ram for this game to run so im wondering if its my video card. Im just getting into lots of gaming so i dont really know much about this part of computing.

System specs are:

2.7ghz
512mb pc2700 333mhz ram
ATI 9200 256mb gold edition(if teh gold edition makes any difference)
160gb hard drive
7.1 creative labs sound card
brand new motherboard (cant remember what kind, its more than good enough to run any game out)

can someone please help?

Yes it's DEFINITELY your video card. The 9200 is horrible. I suggest you get a 9600XT/5700 Ultra or anything better if you have the money. Should only cost about 130-150.

well im canadian so its probly more, but i was thinking more along the lines of the radeon sapphire X800 pro, or at teh very least the 9800 pro 128mb edition..

im only working with a 2.7ghz intel celeron processor right now but that'll be a 3.2ghz intel pentium 4 by february

Alright sounds good. AMD is better for gaming, but just stick with Intel since it would be too much of a hassle to switch mobos and cpu's. Make sure the new p4 is a prescott too.

ooo i just got a new motherboard because my computer didnt have an agp slot wheni got it...i didnt think about CPU's at the same time(stupid me) so im sticking with intel anyway..ok ill make sure i get a prescott..y are they better?

Well it would be better if your ram had more bandwith (pc3200 or above), but it's not gonna hurt you THAT much. So other than your video card and cpu, everything is fine. And prescott's are better just based off of benches I have seen, and they have highger bus speeds and all that good stuff, so get a prescott. Might as well get the most bang for your buck.

lol ok, yea i know my ram isnt all that good but its good enough for me, im not a complete serious gamer, i just wanna be able to play games when they come out and not worry about if im good enough

Back
Top Bottom