Advantages of having linux?

Im curious about two things.....first if im gonna download Linux what exactly is the name of it, i mean who makes them i dont think theres just a file that says Linux. Maybe im wrong. Second, im also pretty sure you can partition your pc to run both. Is this true?

Advantages
1. Free
2. Updated often
3. Software is free (usually)
4. More control over the system

Linux is secure, so far, but only 6% use linux. If more people used it I'm sure more bugs / exploits would turn up. But then the linux staff would just write a patch for it :) Instead of wait 3 months (like some other operating system)

One big disadvantage though, if you don't know much about linux it's going to be hard when you start and you'll probably be tempted to format and stick windows back on.

Tokinbudz

There's different distros (versions) of linux.
Yes you can have a dual boot. I've never had a dual boot, but I've heard it's not a good idea. So I just have one hard drive with Linux and one with Windows.

Could you give me the names of some good versions of linux? Im sure i can find them to dl, i just dont know what verions are the best.

Gentoo is good if you like your "getting into the thick of it command line style". SuSE I like as its pretty damn easy to set up. Red Hat was good but ain't used it for ages. I hear Knoppix is also good. But it really depends on what you want to do or how you like to use your computer as to which is best I suppose

The thing about gentoo is it's hard to install. For a newbie it'll be a nightmare but gentoo is amazing once it's installed since you have what you want and that's it none of that prepackaged junk. also it's the emerge command which makes gentoo what it is :) gentoo also has one of the best doucmentations ever.. the forum and staff are awesome too

redhat is just linux windowized for people, it has all your fancy buttons and office tools.

If you want a list here...

http://www.linuxiso.org/

a windows server is a headache and an assache... ;) one application on windows hanging the entire system... :p

anyway, for you gamers out there, there is cedega on linux. i haven't read much about it but it's suppose to allow you to play your windows games on linux. :)
http://www.transgaming.com/

Yeah. It does. But for those who aren't willing or have no way to pay for Cedega, there's WINE. I've managed to get alot of software running smoothly under WINE. Call of Duty, GTA Vice City, Star Wars Jedi Academy all run great.

Back
Top Bottom