Slow As Hell...Why???

Afro Joe

Beta member
i have a way annoying problem with my pc and i was wandering if anyone out there can shed some light on the matter.

a few days ago my computer suddenly went really slow. the windows load up sequence(sp 2) was taking about 3 times the time is usually took. I go into my user area and everything is loading up ok, and i whack some music on. the music is well choppy to start with and if i try and load anything it starts to get all choppy as it loads. it seems wheneva the little load icon is up my music goes really really slow, this is the same for games aswell, they seem to be running soo much slower and are barely playable.

atm im running sumthing like 2.66g pentium 4, 256meg ram, 128 graphics card, some sound card i dont know about blah blah yeah.

so far ive:
ran the full professional version and adaware, cleared everything and added a watch
defragged my C:\
cleared up my C:\ and freed up loads of space
installed zone labs security firewall thing and blocker (full version)
ive done some online virus scan with this panda website??? but that kinda froze up while it was clearing the virus's cos there was loads in there

can anyone tell me whats wrong with my computer and if there is anything i can do about it? recomend any good virus scanners or anything?

cheers lads

Joe

Best solution when all else fails. Format c: and reinstall operating system. :) thats my favourite.

But what you've gotta do is just remove all the adware and viruses b/c it sounds like you've got a lot. Norton scan, trend micro (free online scan), lavasoft adaware...there's tons of free adaware stuff out there just google it. And just know where to go, trusted sites and dont download and install everything you find. Be picky.

One last thing. Go to start>run>type msconfig Go to start up programs and remove all unnecessary programs that run at startup. *Warning* Only do this if you know what you are doing. If your using win2k, it doesnt come with msconfig, but you can download it.

More RAM! Also, try looking at how many running programs you have in the beginning. Get virus protection, and get rid of that Pentium Processor! Really though, you should look into buying more RAM for that PC, it will increase its speed alot. Get and addition 512MB stick,, and KABOOM! Your speed will double! I am not kidding. Also, it should clear up any slow load times. :) Cheers! :D

BTW- Pick up McAfee Internet Security Suite from like BEstBuy or some store like it. McAfee pwns Norton big time (because it doesn't pop up every 10 mins to tell you how to do something!!), and McAfee's firewall actually works!

i did that PC Pitstop thing and it said
TIP > Unusually low disk performance
Drive C has an uncached speed of 3 megabytes per second.

Drive D has an uncached speed of 3 megabytes per second.

Drive E has an uncached speed of 3 megabytes per second.

For comparison, systems with the same CPU and clock speed as this one have a speed of 35.91 MB/s.

how do i go about sorting that out?!?

is that a virus?

Uncached speed 3 MB/s (8%) 3 MB/s (8%) 3 MB/s (8%)

is this bad?

Cant help u there m8 i have no idea what that means but wouldnt mind finding out if anyone else knows...

Back
Top Bottom