IP conflict?

crazyjoe16 said:
damn.....if only there was some universal router that served as a modem, router, and a switcher.....well thanks for the help. switchers are only like 10 bucks aren't they?
switches dotn router and they arent as smart, they go by Media Access Control method and nto by IP addressinng.

well I am not going to fight with you athlon64fx about the diffrence between the cheap routers you get from walmart and a real honest to goodness cisco router. although the cheep ones are not really so much routing as they are switching or acting as a hub on their ports. which would allow the constant broadcasting that a computer with windows file sharing uses to be passed on. that is why in truth routers will not work with workgroups although with windows xp they have fixed that by being able to use a ip address but you cant just browse with the computer name that way or use network neighborhood.

as for the ip conflict from the setup you describe your ip conflict could be 2 things. 1 someone is hijacking your wireless connection or 2 something is screwed with your dhcp and its giving another wireless computer the same address.

yes routers work with workgroups?? thats how miens setup!!!

yes I can use my network places!! jsut set everything up the same IP range and same workgroup name and share files liek you normally would!!!

those routers that are chaep act more like gateways to the inet though a cable or DSL modem. unlike datacneter or enteprise connections that directly connect to backbones or larger ISPs.

routers are different than gateways and those cheap linksys routers and such are setup as gateways by defualt.

and IP conflicts dotn nessicarly mean hijacking.

*shrugs since he said he was not going to argue about it *
your right it does not mean hijacking but gosh dang it it's annoying as heck when someone wont give you all the information so you cant help them. in all sense I am just trying to gleam more information from him so I can be of some help

gee thank you lol. would be a very classic night. I mean screw cisco manuals if you can prove them wrong then all hail you.

yaya!!! cisco isnt the best for networking anywayz. thier overpriced and thier IOS (Internetworkign Operating System) has holes and is an agony to use! it also dont tell you when any of your settigns conflict or anything. no sort of help and they expect you to carry a huge book around with you from one customer's site to another if you forget a command!

vegaslon said:
*shrugs since he said he was not going to argue about it *
your right it does not mean hijacking but gosh dang it it's annoying as heck when someone wont give you all the information so you cant help them. in all sense I am just trying to gleam more information from him so I can be of some help

what more information do you need vegaslon? the only other thing i can tell you is my wireless router is D-Link and my nonwireless is Linksys.

Back
Top Bottom