2 CPU one monitor!!

tester

Baseband Member
Hi.... does anyone know how to connect one sinlge monitor with multiple cpus? I'm having two different cpus but a single monitor and keyboard and mouse.
I also have a CYBEX SwitchView. Can anybody suggest a Web link or step wise procedure to setup the think properly.
Cheers,
tester.

You connect the PCs to a switch box with a VGA out, and plug the monitor into that switch box. then turn it to with ever PC you want to use at that point, pretty simple. All you need is a VGA switch box.

hmmmm......
can someonem explain to me why you would need 2 comps hooked up into 1 monitor"??

i'm not being sarcastic or anything, i'm just curious.

Well i'll prob have the same problem in a month or so b/c i will be buying a new system. but i dont wanna spend too much so i wont be getting a new monitor, besides there is nothing wrong with my CRT 17" monitor. So i would like to use both pc's and to do that i'll have to hook them both up to the same monitor. I dont want to go to the back of the pc to switch the plug everytime, so a switch box is very convenient.

I also used 4 pc's hooked up to one monitor and one keyboard/mouse when i was back in college. 4 servers and all i had to do was flip a switch to change machines. Awesome.

i understand, but what i wanna know is, what can u do with 2 pc's that you can't dowith one.

Why would you need two pcs???

If it's because of the files, den you can change the hard drive.

i just don't understand for what reason you would need to use 2 pcs at once.

One pc is old, but not outdated, why would u throw it away? Plus when u have games that arent as demanding, u can play using a lan connection...nhl 2005 anyone?

well what about rendering you use the other computer as a rendering server? that requires two pcs. you could have two pcs running at once to practice networking or even hacking. could have two pcs running at once so you can do something else while the other is using its resources like one pc could be ripping a cd and you can surf the web with the other. you have two running at once becouse you are installing a operating system on one and using the other to show the documentation.

TibsBeatAll said:
i understand, but what i wanna know is, what can u do with 2 pc's that you can't dowith one.

Why would you need two pcs???

If it's because of the files, den you can change the hard drive.

i just don't understand for what reason you would need to use 2 pcs at once.

Maybe one is a small custom server? Online games?

Hi TibsBeatAll

What vegaslon said is just the case. Ok though not for the hacking scenario.
If you are really interested in the DBMS or the Ms exchange servers etc, U would really understand why to go for switch boxes and to have this done.
Especially if u need to check whatever u have done is working properly with two different systems this is a good way of doing it (than changing ur PC config every now and then). The hard disk upgradation wont be any good in such scenarios.
Or i will try to put it like this...
Say u have created a new software and works well on Windows XP, Intel P4 Xeon processor. u need to see how it works with AMD64 and with a different VGA cards etc....
What do you do?
Hope u have go it cleared.

Back
Top Bottom