Favorite OS?

~mr mixx~ said:
I heard somewhere that there are now viruses that can attack the Linux OS....I knew sooner or later it would happen.

Actually it has been going on for years now ever since the creation of linux there have been virus's and worms that effect it. not many though becouse it is so open source when someone discovers something they fix it pretty quick. with windows when someone discovers something well they have to wait for microsoft to fix it and then becouse the microsoft base is so large it takes a while for the word to get around that it needs to be fixed. although when you get into distros of linux you find peices of it that are not open source and so people are starting to look for weakness in these parts becouse they know they wont be fixed by some geek with a little extra time on their hands.

Picklee said:
thats so sad, i don't see why anyone would have a point to attack linux lol

well being so secure is making more people use it and increasing its popularity so naturally poeple need to learn to "Hack" Linux to get into peoples private content now

this is where Linux starts to crumple, its popularity is increasing putting more pressure on it, meaing more people looking for bugs and expliots

thats why windows is great couse they can just about handle the pressure and keep the up whats expected from them

matt said:
well being so secure is making more people use it and increasing its popularity so naturally poeple need to learn to "Hack" Linux to get into peoples private content now

this is where Linux starts to crumple, its popularity is increasing putting more pressure on it, meaing more people looking for bugs and expliots

thats why windows is great couse they can just about handle the pressure and keep the up whats expected from them

Matt, a lot of people think they can "guess" what must be happening and then write it as though it were fact. The only trouble is, in a couple years, if you ending up actually knowing something about linux security, you're going to look back at this post and be embarrassed that you wrote it. Don't post without doing research first, unless you work in the field or have extensive expertise and years of experience. And when you're just guessing as you are here, come right out and say so.

Linux is not Unix. Its merely a POSIX compliant Os that's why it's so similar to Unix. Anyway, most of the Linux viruses that are available now are "proof-of-concepts". Ppl don't exactly get alot of incentives to attack a community and free project.

Linux is Unix.

Linux is not a licensee of the UNIX trademark.

Much depends on how you use the term Unix. You may mean the UNIX trademark, which is held by the "Open Group" http://www.opengroup.org. The trademark holders and those who have licensed it would prefer that you never use "UNIX" to refer to anything other than products sold by companies who have licensed the "UNIX" trademark, and that you never use the terms "Unix" or "unix" at all.

If you are the sort of person who likes to bend over for US industry groups and corporations and let them control the language you use, then by all means, you are free to use the term UNIX in this way. You might be the sort of person who can say "Kleenex(tm) brand facial tissues" with a straight face. You should also note that POSIX is itself a trademark, one which no GNU/Linux distribution is licensed to use.

I use "Unix" in a more historically accurate way, because I choose to be true to history, to the community, and to language rather than to bow to the wishes of an industry trade group. "Unix" is a term with a long history, and refers primarily to an interface, both the command-line interface presented to the user, and the system call interface defined by C header files and presented to programs. This is what I, and most of the world, mean by "Unix" or "unix" and I would encourage you to use these terms as well when referring to these interfaces or to software implementations (such as GNU) that provide these interfaces. By this historical definition, GNU clearly *is* Unix, and the modern GNU/Linux operating systems are Unix as well. FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and NetBSD are also Unix by this definition, and I feel free to refer to them as such. Mac OS X runs on Darwin, and Darwin is Unix too.

Personally, I reserve "UNIX" in all-caps to refer to the trademark itself and the closed, proprietary UNIX variants such as HP-UX, SCO UnixWare, and Solaris, which license that trademark. I consider these products obsolete (and based on industry sales figures, so does most everyone else), and so I seldom have a need to refer to them as a group, but if I ever did, I might say something like "the obsolete UNIX variants." Generally I never write anything in all-caps anyway, so I'm willing to reserve "UNIX" to refer to this dead industry segment.

However, I am not willing to allow these companies to control how I use such a fundamental term in the vocabulary of computers as "Unix" or "the unix user interface". "Unix" is too useful and describes too much history to let it die with the likes of SCO.

I hope this clears some things up for you regarding terminology, and I hope even more that you'll join me in refusing to let an industry trade group control our language.

well those who have php btter upgrade to the lateest version and also PHPbb is being attacked too. upgrade to 2.0.11!!!

theres 2 attacks on phpbb and one on php where anyone cna get access to phpbb, vb,invision, and infopop based forums passwords.

Linux?

Is it really free? and if so how would you obtain it? By disk? would it be a bootup disc and would you have to delete your windows operating system? Can you run both. I have always been curious about Linux.

man im wasted. had too much. oh well.. ;) have fun this x-mas and be coool man!

anywaz....

http://www.linuxiso.org/

where i got all my linux distros pretty cool place. I suggest trying out mandrake linux not redhat it wont network right and it has problems with shoudcards that are embedded. like my realtek ac97 one. and ill tell yah what it messed up all teh time KDE is unstable in redhat9 and it really is a pain to get any apps working on it. Alwyz is complaining botu something.

really gets to me. I just reformatted when the boot loder died and giive me "la la la la la la la... " all over the screen it was nuts then I just said "hell wit it" and reformatted and instlled windows server 2003 and windows xp

now debian on the other hand is a pain in the ass to start out btu once you get into it its solid. nice fetures and very nice to work with. i like it better then redhat. yup.

Back
Top Bottom