Dual Booting Linux

Cangacosh

Solid State Member
I have dual and tri booted linux and BSD a couple of times before. Every time I installed 2 or 3 OS's, the HD was preformated. Now this time I do not want to reformat my HD because I have too much stuff to back up.

What I was wondering is, can I make the NTFS partition smaller than it is right now and put the Linux partition on the remaining space?

I have used 56 gigs out of 127 gigs. So I have around 75 gigs of free space.

yeah, its pretty easy. just download a free program called bootit, boot up on the program, and go to partiton manager, then it will let you resize, delete, and move partitons.

I am using Partition Magic to create a new partition for my linux install. Whenever I make a change to the partition and apply the changes...It goes right back to the old partition. I tried restarting and that does not help.

Is it a primary partition you are making with partition magic - as these work the best for dual booting I found. Also although it sounds silly, did you apply the changes in partition magic before closing it. As it can appear to have done the deed for you but you still need to tell it to run all tasks (I think it appears in the bottom left of the windows in those options). This will then restart your comp and resize the partition for you.

Back
Top Bottom