LAN Problems

jlarose247

Beta member
Yo guys-
Tried to set up a LAN party last night with 3 of my friends, however, my laptop was unable to connect to the LAN. We all run the same version of Windows XP, and their 3 computers were able to connect and share the broadband internet. My computer was able to recognize that it was connected to the LAN (unplugging the cable resulted in "network cable unplugged messages) but whenever you tried to use the internet it wouldn't allow me to, and the repair button gave me a "TCP/IP not enabled for this connection." message. My laptop is brand new, and has a Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC card, and connects to a LAN at my house, but it shares a dialup connection between 2 computers. Not sure what to do, any help is appreciated!

- Jeremy

Is there a static IP and DHCP IP assigning problem i.e your laptop for example could be connected through DHCP to your house but they use static at the LAN house. Therefore your computer will never be assigned an IP adress when you visit the LAN and you won't be able to "see" each other, try using a static address similar to one of your friends at the LAN party - ensure that the Netmask is identical and that the default gateway is that of whatever links you to the interweb. also there could be a firewall issue - I don't know what it could be but its always possible.

Back
Top Bottom