ASP.NET ... using VB.Net Programming Language

ObiWan506

Solid State Member
I have a question ... I am trying to learn Web Programming Languages and I'd thought ASP.Net was a great way to start. I am already a software writer so I have Visual Basic.NET. My question is since I already have VB.NET do I need to install anything or am I ready to go? They said something about a .NET Framework but I thought that came with VB.NET. So if I already have VB.NET is there anything else I need or can I just start?

Thank You.

VB.NET (visual studio?) can be used for creating all web content, from DLL's to web scripts.-You do, indeed, have exactly the right tool for thejob there.

(Actually I prefere to do all the scripting in notepad, but print any code from visual basic because of the colour sensative markup tabs.)

You may also need an IIS server with the dotNET framework installed ready to serve your pages,

The usual method the program expects would be to assume you are building against a dev webserver with your own version controls enabled, so without a server you can write beautiful pages but won't be able to view them.

ObiWan506 said:
I have a question ... I am trying to learn Web Programming Languages and I'd thought ASP.Net was a great way to start. I am already a software writer so I have Visual Basic.NET. My question is since I already have VB.NET do I need to install anything or am I ready to go? They said something about a .NET Framework but I thought that came with VB.NET. So if I already have VB.NET is there anything else I need or can I just start?

Thank You.

Assuming IIS and front page were installed BEFORE you installed Visual Studio, you would indeed have ASP.NET installed. Once you have opened visual studio just click on file> New Project and select 'New ASP.NET project. Unlike ASP classic where you still had a lot of hand coding to perform, web forms have a drag and drop style approach to building forms - similiar to VB.NET. Although remember that you cannot use windows controls in web forms. Only HTML controls and server controls can be used.

Questions

Thanks for the reply .... I have two questions.

First, I tried downloading the Apache Server Software ... but Visual Basic is being cranky. After installing Apache I updated VB.Net's File System but still nothing. Now, I have Windows XP Home Edition .... is there anyway I can get (download) the Microsoft IIS 6 Server? Because it appears it would be so much easier to do that.

Second, why the heck do I need a local hosting server anyway? Why is Visual Basic so stubborn about that? Why can't I just create an ASP.NET application and just use my FTP Server to bring it to my site? To me it just doesn't seem to be a requirement to have a local host server ... I don't think I would ever use it besides checking my apps before uploading.

Thanks, :)

Re: Questions

ObiWan506 said:
Thanks for the reply .... I have two questions.

First, I tried downloading the Apache Server Software ... but Visual Basic is being cranky. After installing Apache I updated VB.Net's File System but still nothing. Now, I have Windows XP Home Edition .... is there anyway I can get (download) the Microsoft IIS 6 Server? Because it appears it would be so much easier to do that.

Second, why the heck do I need a local hosting server anyway? Why is Visual Basic so stubborn about that? Why can't I just create an ASP.NET application and just use my FTP Server to bring it to my site? To me it just doesn't seem to be a requirement to have a local host server ... I don't think I would ever use it besides checking my apps before uploading.

Thanks, :)

1. Apache >>> Sorry never used it so cannot comment. Does Apache support the ASP.NET engine?

2. Hosting Server ? The answer kind of overlaps the first question. ASP applications run under IIS. IIS hosts \ manages the application . Just a thought though, you mention you have xp home edition. The home edition ships with personal web server which would be sufficent for your needs. I'll have a look tommorrow when I get to work.

Laters

Hefty

Hefty ...

I've been looking for a personal Web Server and I've had it all along with my XP Home Edition Package? :eek:

That would be great ... can't wait to see your reply on how to get it.

:cool:

If you download the Web Developer Version of Visual Studio 2005 here or even order the full Visual Studio Version on a DVD then it will install all the required files and setup to write Web Programs in all the languages.

It will also get you going with good up-to-date ASPX information with the 2005 MSDN Library.

It is also able to show what the web applications will look like in a better sense than VB.NET would, and to check the code for you instead of merely coming up with errors like VB.NET will; thinking your code is just plain wrong.

As far as I know...

IIS doesn't come with home editions, and isn't downloadable as an add in or standalone.

Visual studio needs the server installed on the local machine so you have a machine to develop against, (it doesn't want you to use FTP to send files/page updates to the server, it wants you to use front page extensions. (It's a huge pain in the arse) - (which is why I prefere to use notepad/ftp)

Kalthorn ... I checked out your link, exactly which one am I supposed to be downloading?

Thanks!

ObiWan506 said:
Hefty ...

I've been looking for a personal Web Server and I've had it all along with my XP Home Edition Package? :eek:

That would be great ... can't wait to see your reply on how to get it.

:cool:

Bad news I'm afraid. PWS is not included as part of XP home edition. Neither is it supported. Check out this link:-http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q304197.

You can still use frontpage to mange static html pages etc - athough this is not what you wanted to do. Also Apache does not support the .NET framework.

Basically your only option (assuming .NET) is to upgrade to the professional edition of xp. This edition ships with IIS 6.0 as standard. Pain in the Ass I know but it would appear this was the intention of MS. They are now making a clear distinction between home users and business users.

Back
Top Bottom