No internet after spyware sweep, (i messed up my friends comp)

Sayguh

Solid State Member
Hey guys, I know computers pretty well, but i'm no guru to networking. My friend had a really slow running E-machine with 733 mhz processor and 64 megs or ram and working cable internet. I download adaware, ran that on full C:\ drive scan, cleared all those files, then did it with the smart scan thing. I ran msconfig and disabled maybe one or two startup things that didn't seem to belong. Finally things were running smooth and fast but now her cable internet doesn't work!

I got my laptop out and connected into the cable modem and had perfect fast internet, so it's definitly a setting on her computer. I have "Automatically obtain IP address" set, and i played around with it for a while but nothing helped. I even called her provider and they said if it's a computer problem they can't help. She's running windows ME which i know nothing about. Anyway, can I just uninstall the protocols and start all over? Someone please help me I felt so bad i let her borrow my new laptop but i need it back soon and she knows nothing i feel like i've wrecked her computer lol.

oh yea, i thought maybe i'd disabled something it needed in MS config start up so i even tried running it with all those started but still nothing.

one of your problems could be ur running a 733

problem 2 is its mega 64mb of memory

but you got me stumped on why after removing spyware her internet connection isnt working. isp's dont normally rely on spyware to run so running adaware shouldnt stop her comps internet connection, :-\ sry

Yea, Yesterday I tried to renew her IP address using winIPcfg and that didn't help anything either. I've read another post (maybe at anothe forum) that said sumtin about a guy who accidently turned his computer off improporly and that caused his internet to go out. Only way he said he could fix it was to do a clean reinstall everything! (I rather not do that)

If i were to uninstall all of the networking protocols and clients, and then reinstall them, what would I need to do? Anything special? Which ones do I need? Do u guys think that would help? Should I download her NIC card drivers and reinstall that? Look'n for anything guys :p

I really doubt she's ever done a system back up. I plan to just go to www.network-drivers.com and update her drivers, if that doesn't work then i'll just go into device manager and uninstall the nic card drivers then reboot and see if ME recognizes the nic card as new hardware and hope it install some drivers. If THAT doesn't work then i have no clue what to do besides be like "look women i'm stealing your computer" and takening it home to upgrade the ram and put in a new nic.

(if anything i've posted there is a horrible idea please inform me asap since i'm planning on doing this later tonight)

--edit--

a little advice from someone who knows a lot about NIC protocols and cable connections would be nice. I like how everyone in this thread is a newbie lol

Newbies might be passing through and willing to help you LOL.

I didn't mean if she had a system back up . WIN ME also has the same feature as XP which you can restore OS back to a working state with just a click of the mouse(YSYTEM RESTORE). OS backs itself up everyday with a restore point.
As for reinstalling protocols all you are using is TCP/IP bounded to your NIC. A simple test would be to ping 127.0.0.1 (loopback test) if you get replies TCP/IP is working fine on your NIC.I would just test this before jumping the gun and messing with NIC spyware utilites will not remove a NIC's driver.Your problem is elsewhere.

This is getting really fun, j/k. Ok so i uninstalled all the tcip stuff (sorry didn't read ur post till i had already done it) But i checked to see if the i could ping myself and it worked fine, 0% lost. (so much for an easy 14 buck solution) Your advice about the system restore is good but the computer is being stupid again lol.
Your computer cannot be restored to:
Saturday, July 10, 2004
2:23 AM System CheckPoint

No changes have been made blah blah blah. Oh joy this is fun isn't it boys and girls ;-)

I even tried one from a year ago and it didn't work either. :-( Any other advice guys? Your help is definitly appreciated. I never thought this would be so difficult.

Im not sure if this will work. But you can give it a try.
We are going to reset the modem and the info it is sending to the computer.

What you need to do:

Turn off the modem and the computer.

Unplug the power cable to the computer and make sure that the modem is unplugged to. (I have an off switch.)

Press and hold the power button the comp for 30 secs. You are removing all the power from the lines.

Once the comp has been removed of its power. Plug the modem power back in and let it sit for 2 to 3 min.

Replug the power into the computer and let it sit for 30 seconds.

Turn on the computer.

When the computer turns on do nothing for 1 to 2 min. Let the computer reset the modems data transfer.

Now test the internet to see if the its receiving.

So the problem could be that because you unplugged the modem from the comp with out turning it off first the data is pretty much stuck in the modem and cant decide if its sending or receiving. If you were to view network connects you would see that the comp is sending packets but not receiving.

Now if you changed her system info such as IP and all that. don't worry. Because i am assuming that she has not had her internet for some time now she will have a new ip.

I highly doubt that the disablling of any processes from msconfig would do this. Well lets say this. I have a intel lan. So i have a little ICON that looks like a PCI board. If i disabble that im not disableing the DRIVER i am just removing the ICON from the list. In this can. When you hav a product like AIM and you remove it from there you are stoping the proggy from booting. But in this case it is a system driver and is seen as a DRIVER not a proggy.

Let me know if it works bro.

-Reaper

I'll give it a try when i go over there today, but i know we've tried unplugging everything and plugging it all back in, plus the modem works fine when plugged into my computer.

I have a bad feeling I'm gona hafta ask her if she has her windows ME disk :-(

Thats not the point. There is alot more then just unpluging the modem with out unpluging the computer. See when the comp is plugged in there is still info running through it. So if you follow it just like i wrote im sure it will work. cause i had the EXACT same problem. I unplugged the modem one day plugged it back in and it didnt work then i had to go to work and look for hours for a soloution. So just folow it like i wrote it and i know it will work. Unless you really messed up her settings.

When you unplug just the modem your just resetting the MODEM end of the comp. You not restting the data that runs into the comp. This works some times. The people on the phone have on solution. Reset the modem a but not the comp. Well the fact is that they don't know what there talking about.

Mess with the settings. If you feel that you may have messed them to bad. Reinstall the Drivers (AKA NIC) and try this. Like i said the data is just stuck and backed up in the modem.

Everything you have told me was the exact same thing that happend to me. Cept for the scanning part.

Best of Luck to you.

I will be on all day. If you need more help just ask here.

-Reaper

Back
Top Bottom