Wrong hard disk size?

Brank

Solid State Member
My computer is about 3 weeks old.

The listed hard drive size is 80GB.

I look at system resources and it shows 70.94 GB for total size. I've seen shortages on other computers, but this seems high.

The support guy gave two reasons.

First he said it was because of multiplication issues (multiplying 1,000 MB by 1,000 MB instead of 1,024 X 1,024).

Then he said it was also because of formatting and partitioning.

What do you think?

well, an os also does take up room on your hard drive. and maybe you formatted it to be a certain size.

Yeah, my 80G has 74G on it. Stupid 1000M per gig...

Check your bios and partitioning as you mentioned, though assuming you use XP, it's usally pretty good about partitioning it correctly...

Brank if you buy a 80G like me then put it on in a computer it will say the size of it when u 4mat it reason is when u put windows on it will say do you want to format ... ... 71.34mb or somet like that thats the OS your putting on its your OS thts taking the space thats why you could buy a 10g HDD and a 80G THE 80G 4 SPACE THE 10G 4 WINDOWS

Thanks for the comments. I feel I should accept 70.94 out of 80 and move on.

I too have a 80 gig HDD. It is down 74gbs on a clean formatt. The os is a big thing. I was wondering if you own a DELL. Cause they have this new thing that they also reserve space. I've only seen this once. but it was 2 gigs of reserved space.

Back
Top Bottom